1.26𓆩ᥫ᭡𓆪

Zayn marched through the corridor and down the
stairs. Members of his pack pressed themselves
into the wall as he stormed by. Zayn had trained
with the pack that morning, instead of by himself, for the first time in months.

Niall was his training buddy and had pushed him
hard. Jaiden didn't show, and apparently, he
hadn't shown up to training for a few weeks. That
was yet another reason for Zayn to make him step down from his Beta duties.

Zayn might not have trained with his pack, but
he was still training on his own, as wolves do on
occasion. Jaiden was sleeping in because nobody called him out on it without Zayn around.

I wonder what else Jaiden has been up to without me watching over him.

Zayn's shoulders were stiff, and his legs were a little sore. Zayn was grumpy because he was away from his mate and couldn't find an earlier opportunity to wait outside Ethdellin Town College.

His mother was already in the canteen when Zayn entered. The chatter died down, and everyone stood quickly to bow. Zayn wanted to reverse back through the door. Instead, he gritted his teeth and continued his way to the table.

Solana watched with a smile as he sat opposite.
"Good afternoon."

Zayn greeted her with a glance. As he looked to the pasta and salad that his mother had gotten for him, his heart panged with nerves. He thought about Liam all morning and how the time was approaching for him to tell everyone about his human mate. Zayn didn't know how his mother would react.

He assumed she would at least pretend she was
okay with it on the surface, but the way she acted
so publicly about Baela, Zayn wasn't sure if his
mother would keep his best interests in mind.

"I noticed you were training with Niall this morning. He pushed you hard," Solana said, stirring her tea.

Zayn's eyes were drawn to her mate ring, glittering against the bright lights above. A sudden lump formed in his throat. Zayn quickly filled his mouth with food, so he didn't have to talk, but that didn't stop his mother from making conversation.

"l also noticed the key to your father's office has
gone from my room. Did you take it?"

Zayn nodded without looking up from his bowl.

"Did you have a look in the office?"

Zayn shook his head to say no. He couldn't yet find the courage.

"Will you?"

Zayn shrugged.

"Well, if you do, can you get me so that we can looke together?"

Zayn, being his prickly self, wanted to say
something to stir an argument. He didn't know
where that annoying trait came from, or why he
was so eager to anger everyone until they stopped pestering him.

"Yeah," he grumbled, thinking of Liam. If he's going to one day love me, he won't love this version of me.

"The annual meeting is this Saturday. Your uncle
finally stopped throwing a fit about your cousin's
human soulmate." Solana pulled her long grey
hair over one shoulder.

Zayn felt her brown eyes watching his every move. "Took him long enough," he mumbled.

"Yeah, poor Louis. I bet he's reluctant to bring his mate. He'll feel so out of place, being the only
human."

Not if I bring Liam. Zayn wanted to smirk at the
idea. Bringing his secret human mate to an annual meeting would surely cause quite the stir. Zayn then thought about how embarrassed his mother would feel if she found out at the same time as everyone else.