2.60༊*·˚

Liam must have stared for a long time. The tall man sitting in between his parents tilted his head and said, "this has shocked you quite a bit."

Liam only realised his mouth hung open when he tried to find his words.

"A- A bit? Just a bit?" He leaned forwards, recognising the intenseness to his dark eyes. "You're Xavier Malik?"

The man nodded. "A bit of a pathetic version of myself, I must admit."

Liam shook his head to scatter his thoughts.

"I-" Liam wanted to cry again. "You have no idea what your death has done to him."

Xavier's face hardened as Liam's parents looked to the man between them. "I imagine he spiralled."

Liam was back to gawking and blinking hopelessly. He struggled to find words at the best of times. Now questions wanted to spew from him so fast, he crashed.

Eventually, Liam stuttered, "H-He did. A
few times!"

Xavier's eyes lowered to his thin legs crossed beneath him. "And Solana, has she spiralled?"

"Yes," Liam whispered. Almost for the last time.

"How badly?" Xavier's voice lowered too.

Liam didn't want to tell him that she very nearly ended it all, so he used Zayn's famous way of avoiding topics. "How are you not dead?"

Xavier shifted weakly, unsettled. "Well, I don't know the details, but the last thing I saw was Zayn leaning over me, then I woke in the back of a van. I assume Jaiden ushered me out of the building rather quickly. I'm sure he and Mira had planned to bring me back to life. I was in one of those vans the government send to take away dead wolves."

Xavier hadn't yet looked up from his lap. "I just remember Mira being thrilled when I freaked out about not feeling my wolf. For the longest time, she let me believe that Solana was dead." In the sharp shadows, his jaw clenched. "Evil bitch."

"That's why we're all here together," Sylvia whispered. "Xavier was here before us, though his wounds were months old by then, so maybe Mira thought she would get to you sooner. What was happening two years ago?"

"Uh.." Liam really had to think about it. His mind was mush. "Mira's Pack invaded the annual meeting, and because Ethdellin Pack came to rescue Zayn, Mira's pack invaded Ethdellin Packhouse, so we went to Sea Claw Packhouse. Junes was killed and me and Niall had to run. We were almost caught a few times. I guess Mira was desperate because she lost Jaiden."

"And you said Zayn killed him?" Xavier asked.

Liam nodded.

Xavier perked up. "Good lad."

Liam had heard stories of Zayn's father over the years, stories of him being a great leader, a fair leader, and a calm and considerate Alpha who took the time to care, but a distant father. He had also heard that Xavier started off a little rough around the edges, like Zayn, and still had moments of sternness.

"If you and Solana are still alive, why do you not have your wolves?" Liam asked.

"We're too far to reconnect, if that's even possible. I love her, and we'll reconnect in our own way." Xavier nodded curtly.

Liam had watched Solana deteriorate over the years. Hopefully he would get the chance to watch her grow again. He shook his head, staring at all three prisoners in utter disbelief. His father, Zayn's father, and his mother all stared back. The situation was crazy enough to be a dream, a bittersweet dream that was just on the brink of a nightmare.