2.51༊*·˚

Enjoy reading!

Baela truly thought she would die. It felt as though hours passed that she laid on the floor among decaying leaves, covering their autumn gold in red.

Liam had left on the back of Rogues. She failed not only Liam, but her Alpha. She hadn't expected Mira to be carrying a knife, but she had suspected something, and wished she hadn't been so scared.

She wished she had grabbed Liam and dragged him away, but knowing the Southern Alpha, Rogues had most likely always been close enough to catch them. Mira was now their Southern Alpha, and
always seemed one step ahead.

I deserve this for being so careless, she thought, thinking of Liam.

The pain in Baela's side was sharp with each inhale. She wanted the ground to swallow her when she finally heard the footprints of more wolves. She recognised the scents. A big brown wolf with black patches was first to hover over her, staring with frantic red eyes.

"I- I've failed you, Alpha," she croaked and Zayn furiously sniffed around as other wolves leaned over her, smelling her wound.

Zayn then shifted, as did a few other Omegas who could help Baela. Zayn pushed them away from Baela and cupped her face, making her open her eyes.

"Bel, look at me. You are going to be okay, yeah? Stay strong. You'll be alright. Now tell me where is he?" he demanded. "I smell his blood."

"Mira and Rogues took him-" Baela then frowned.

"You smell Liam's blood? But he wasn't hurt." Against the Omega medics orders, she struggled to prop herself up onto elbows. She sniffed the air and could indeed smell someone else's blood. Then she saw the knife. "Oh Liam, you clever boy."

"What is it?" Zayn snapped with wild red eyes.

"He must have cut his hand to leave a trail for you to follow."

Zayn breathed heavy. "How could you let this happen?."

He crouched and shifted back to his wolf form before she could reply. He sniffed the air, then pelted south and towards deeper woods. Omegas hurried after him. Zayn was too scared that the Rogues would somehow outsmart them, and he would lose Liam. He had no time to fret over Baela, all he could hope that she was still alive when they returned.

Stop thinking. Zayn stayed vigilant. Every few metres, he smelt a drop a blood and followed to the next, hating that he smelt his mate's blood, but glad he had something to follow. He could also smell the lingering stench of Rogues. For once, he would love to sink his teeth into their disgusting fur.

*******

Any minute now, they'll catch up, Liam thought, but every time he tried to look behind them, he had to grab the wolf's neck with both hands, and the blood on his cut eventually dried up. Liam had lost all sense of direction because the Rogues turned this way and that way and up hills and through streams. One by one, a wolf tapered off to run in a different direction to throw the scent.

Liam lost hope when they had been running for more than an hour. Multiple times he was tempted to roll himself off the wolf's back and down a ditch to try and escape, but he couldn't outrun them, and couldn't risk hurting himself. He also couldn't risk a punishment for trying to escape. He would have to think of something better.

But right now, Liam couldn't think. What he had done was very stupid. He had risked his life, and Zayn's life because Zayn had always said he wouldn't live in a world without Liam.

At least Baela might live. She was like a sister to him and would've done the same thing if the roles were reversed. Liam couldn't ponder on what he had done, all he could do was think about how he was
going to survive.