1.25𓆩ᥫ᭡𓆪

A high-pitched noise rang loud in Liam's ears. "With the same person?" he asked, being the one to stare intensely into Zayn's dark eyes, though Zayn didn't shy away, and stared back just as firmly.

"Yes."

"A-And that's me?"

"Yes."

Liam's thoughts exploded, making a mess in his
head. "Why me?"

"I told you. My soul chose you."

"So... it wasn't you?"

"Not a conscious choice," Zayn admitted, "but the right choice."

Liam's mouth hung open. His eyes glazed over for a moment as he digested the information. "How did you know it was me?"

"I dreamt about you." Liam frowned, and Zayn
warmed to the core. "I think the night you broke
into the institute started everything."

Liam thoughtfully ran the tips of his fingers across
his bottom lip and uncrossed his legs. "How does
it all work? N-not just the mate thing, but the wolf thing. Is it magic?"

Zayn shrugged."The wolf isn't physical until I've
shifted forms. Right now, my wolf is just a feeling, I guess."

"You can feel it inside you?"

Zayn nodded. "Like when there's a full moon;
it gets a little agitated, or when there's a cat or
something nearby, or when I'm near you."

"Y- Your wolf is agitated around me?" Liam asked, his brown eyes turned a little rounder.

"You're my mate, Liam. Your scent drives my wolf
crazy."

Liam blushed and pursed the lips that Zayn wanted to kiss. "So... um..." Liam tapped the ends of his fingers together.

He was now a lot more curious than fearful. He wanted to know everything he possibly could about Zayn. Liam didn't have to question whether Zayn was playing a joke on him because he had seen Zayn's transformation with his own eyes. Liam also didn't think Zayn was the type to be quite that cruel.

"What, uh- what does it mean to be a mate? I don't quite understand that part. Is this a magic thing? Or- or is it just attraction or something"

Zayn frowned thoughtfully. "It's more than
attraction." He sighed.

"I don't really know how to explain it without confusing you." Zayn moved on the bed and crossed his legs, making himself comfortable.

"You're not just my mate, but I'm  yours too. We'll both feel, I don't know, connected. We're both bound by, I guess, a force that we won't see but can feel"

Liam didn't look like he understood just how much Zayn cared for him now that he was a mate. "When you trespassed, I couldn't care less about you. Now that you're my mate, I would die for you. Do you understand?"

Liam's brows almost shot through the roof. "That's an extreme way to feel for someone you've known for only three weeks!"

"It's not for mates, and you'll feel that way too,
eventually"

Liam looked around Zayn's face. He seemed serious enough. Liam glanced down to his fingers and flexed them. Just hints of bruises remained, and they didn't hurt anymore.

Zayn thought about the night Liam was in the cellar and how ruthless he had been to his future mate.

He wished he wasn't, but yelling threats was the
most efficient way to get people to do what he
wanted, in his experience. "I am not a kind person Liam. It's best that you know that now."