2.36༊*·˚

Liam was on his step ladder in the library when Zayn stormed up the stairs.

"Liam!" he said desperately, frightening him into dropping a few books. "Mum hasn't turned up at the Shadow Packhouse!"

"How come?" Liam noticed his panic and remained calm, not wanting to make it worse

"I don't know. They didn't even know she was visiting! She lied when she said she called already!" Zayn gripped the front of his hair.

Liam quickly slotted the rest of the books onto the shelf, not even putting them in the right alphabetical order. He swung his leg around the step ladder and large hands held his waist to assist him down. When Liam's socks touched the floor, Zayn only held him tighter.

"What if she's gone off to... to do something stupid?" Zayn asked.

"Like what?"

"Like- hurting herself."

Liam turned in Zayn's arms. His hazel eyes were big and concerned. Liam reached up and Zayn crouched so his hand could meet his cheek. Liam softly caressed it. Now that they were on good terms again, he couldn't resist being affectionate at every opportunity. "Maybe there's traffic?"

"There's not."

"Is there a way to get in touch with the driver? What number did she use to order the car?"

"It's a government car." Zayn suddenly stood up straighter and Liam's hand slipped away. "We only have one number for that sort of stuff. I'll call them!"

He took Liam's hand that still hovered in the air and dragged Liam through the library. Zayn needed his presence to stay somewhat calm. Liam hurried by Zayn's large strides and had to tell him to slow down on the stairs. The varnished wood was slippery in socks.

When they tumbled into the office, Baela was by Zayn's desk, on the phone to the last Eastern Pack who hadn't seen Solana, or any government cars.

"Okay, thank you for your time," Baela managed to say before Zayn grabbed the phone from her.

"Where's the number that mum would've used?" He asked.

Liam perched on the chair, watching Zayn carefully. He was stressed, and Liam hoped to whoever listened that Solana hadn't done what Zayn thought she had done. She had been looking rather run down and weak, but Liam had never met a stronger person. Unless... it was all just an act, and she had been dissolving slowly inside Liam couldn't imagine e living on after Zayn. It wasn't really possible for humans, but if he could, he wasn't sure he would want to live without the one person his soul connected to the most. Love for soulmates was everything. Liam's favourite part of the day was sometimes climbing into bed with Zayn. Or reading a good book with his head on Zayn's lap.

Liam could see why Solana had steadily declined. He understood, but he didn't know what it was like, and he hoped he would never know. Zayn paced with the phone to his ear. It wasn't cordless, and Baela had to grab the other end to stop it from falling off the desk and pulling everything else with it.

"They're not answering" Zayn growled and for a moment, he thought about throwing the phone into the wall until he connected with brown eyes in the corner. Calm down, he thought. Don't cause a scene. This is not you anymore.

Liam and Baela exchanged surprised glanced when Zayn breathed deeply and tried dialling the number again. This time, the authorities picked up. Zayn quickly faced the window and stared at the long view of the woods. The autumn sun was low and red and beautiful. Zayn was too stressed to appreciate it.

"A driver was ordered to Ethdellin Packhouse and has not yet arrived at its
destination with an important member of our Pack. Please give me the driver's number." Zayn tried to sound polite, but his deep and blunt voice often gave off the wrong tone.