1.38𓆩ᥫ᭡𓆪

Zayn felt the rise and fall of Liam's chest against his own chest before he even opened his eyes. His arms were still wrapped around Liam, and he laid in the same position he had fallen asleep in.

When Zayn bothered to open his eyes, all he saw was brown wavy hair, and then he felt it tickling his skin. Further down the bed was Liam's hat that had been removed during the night.

Liam had tossed and turned and ended up back in Zayn's arms with his head still pressed to Zayn's shoulder.

Liam had ended up where he felt most content. The duvet was around them, trapping the heat between them. Zayn was warm, not hot, and he was so comfortable, he didn't dare move.

Zayn couldn't remember when he last had such a good night's sleep, where he had woken up with a blank mind, rather than one heavy with the horrors from the previous day.

He closed his eyes again, listening to Liam's soft breathing. Zayn would have fallen back to sleep if he didn't suddenly remember what his mother had told him last night.

Liam's parents were killed by werewolves.

Zayn cursed his mind, only ever able to zone in on the bad things. Still, the news sent Zayn's heart hammering against his chest. If he had known, he wouldn't have taken Liam to see the wolves on the field.

Liam had handled training werewolves well, but he had to lean on Zayn for support. Zayn could only imagine what was going though Liam's thoughts, and whether the wolves brought back tragic memories from his parent's last hours.

Zayn tightened his arms around his mate, one in which had turned numb. Zayn was suddenly painfully aware of the pins and needles in his hand.

He didn't pull his arm out because he didn't want to wake Liam. So Zayn settled his face back into Liam's hair until he heard movement by the couch.

Zayn lifted his head so fast, his neck cracked. Solana sat on the couch with a smile as soft as butter.

Zayn wanted to scream at her. "The fuck" he hissed. "Get out, right now."

"I've not been here for long" Solana whispered, "I just popped my head in and-"

"I don't care! Get out." Zayn scowled when Liam started to stir.

"Get up as soon as you can. We have a busy day today." Solana scoffed at Zayn's glare and left, shutting the door behind her.

Zayn noted that he had to get a lock, for Liam's safety and to stop himself from biting his mother's head off.

His mother had always been intrusive, but not quite this much. Zayn didn't mind when he wasn't drowning in grief. Sometimes, all he wanted was to be left alone when all his mother wanted was to have someone to hold her.

Zayn silently sighed when Liam lifted a hand and rubbed his eyes, occasionally brushing his knuckles against Zayn's neck.

Zayn watched him, wanting to greet him good morning, but wanting to see if Liam would drift back to sleep.

Liam's brown eyes graced Zayn's sight. As soon as Liam saw him looking, the thought of more sleep left him like a breath to the wind.

Liam's cheeks flushed red. "Morning" he croaked, concealing a yawn into Zayn's shoulder. Liam coughed lightly and scrunched his eyes shut when his head thumped.

Zayn then remembered that the longer they didn't complete the bond, the sicker his mate would feel.

"Morning, Liam" he whispered, thrilled that they were still so close.