2.16༊*·˚

Baela returned to the Packhouse with a heart of lead. She was quiet upon her return, and a group of Omega wolves were discussing Liam, and how he had weakened their Alpha.

Baela paused in the darkness. Every now and then, she stumbled upon and ill-spoken conversation about the Alpha's mate. If they really tried to get to know Liam, like the Omega wolves who joined his running club, they would learn that Liam had been through a lot and was one of the strongest humans Baela had ever met, and the kindest.

Baela cleared her throat and stepped into the light. The Omegas quickly shut their mouths.

"Your Alpha is weak because he is a broken man, not because he has a human for a mate," she said bitterly. "If this continues, I will give Zayn a list of names of everyone who thinks they have the right to speak about Liam this way."

Some of the wolves lowered their heads. Some challenged her.

"Zayn himself is unhappy with a human mate. He talks about humans like they're the mud on the bottom of his shoes. We think the same, or are we not allowed opinions, Beta?"

Baela was still simmering from when she punched Zayn in the face. "I return without your Alpha and a dead Delta. Yet you're only wanting to argue about humanity. Have you forgotten that we are half of Liam's race? Liam is the highest member of this pack without Zayn. If I catch you talking about him again, I'll make sure Zayn kicks you from the pack"

Baela wasn't one to threaten wolves, so when she did use her Beta status, she meant it. The wolves sulked inside the house, and Baela wondered if Niall was taken home, Ireland.

She found his body on the field, surrounded by his belongings and heartfelt notes from the pack. Baela knelt by him. Lightly touching his arm.

"I'm sorry that you wasted your life on an Alpha who doesn't even care," she whispered. "I will miss you a lot, Niall. You were too kind for this pack. Hopefully one day, Zayn will miss you too. You meant a lot to all of us, and nobody will be able to fill your Delta position."

Baela stood when her green eyes swelled with tears. She had held them back after leaving Zayn, knowing that if she cried, she would soon regret the words she had spoken to her Alpha. Maybe I was too cruel to him, but he's cruel to everyone else.

Baela turned towards the Packhouse. Her eyes found the bedroom on the third floor and a small silhouette was staring down at her. Baela had some explaining to do. Liam would not be happy that she left Zayn alone in the woods with a group of rogues out to get him.

Baela hurried to the bedroom and knocked loudly. Liam's voice told her calmly to enter. He looked sad when she did, and exhausted.

"Is Zayn back too?" he asked. His hopeless voice told her that he knew he wasn't.

"No. I left him in the woods."

Liam's mouth gaped in shock. "Why would you do that?"

"He didn't care at all about Niall's death or the other Omegas. All he talked about was killing the rogues."

"So, you just left him by himself?" Liam climbed off the windowsill. Baela was taller than him by half a foot.

"I was too angry to stay. We would have fought!" Baela bent and stretched her fingers. Her knuckles were a little stiff from colliding with Zayn's face.

Liam rubbed his left cheek, knowing what had happened. He felt a strange tingling, the same tingling in the back of his leg where Zayn was also hurt. "How far away was he?"

"About twenty miles.!"

Liam sat back on the windowsill. "You should have silently followed him. His mind is in a very dark place, Baela. I'm worried he'll- I'm just worried he won't come back." Liam looked through the window.