2.32༊*·˚

"I just want you to be happy." Liam said after a while of sitting on Zayn's lap and watching the sunset.

"I know."

"That's all I've ever wanted."

"I know."

"Being apart was to give you time to think, not to hurt you."

"I know that," Zayn said, linking fingers around Liam's side and peering into his brown eyes. They were lighter than the the shade of chocolate and shiny like pools made of glass.

"I'm grateful that you stepped back because as horrible as it was to be away from you, I saw that I was headed in that direction if I didn't get my shit together." He rested his chin on top of Liam's head.

"My digs at you kept you on edge all the time because you never knew when I'd next be annoyed. My anger will be under control from now on. I promise."

Liam couldn't trust his promises yet, but he appreciated Zayn being open about changing, and wanting to be better.

"A therapist is coming tomorrow for you and anyone else who needs to arrange appointments. You'll visit one for as long it takes!"

Zayn nodded against him. Liam was taking charge. Zayn didn't expect him to help so much, but he was grateful.

Liam was a fighter.

Life had been cruel to Liam in ways that should have torn him to the bone, but Liam never gave up being positive, and Zayn doubted he would ever lose that optimism.

Liam deserved someone who could make him smile every day, someone who could love him unconditionally, someone who could look after him, listen to him, treat him with respect, and give him a good life.

I will be that person now. I didn't try hard enough in the past, but I promise I will make it up to you.

Zayn planted a soft kiss into Liam's hair and melted when Liam smiled and snuggled his head into his chest. Zayn had missed that smile, and hoped to see more of it, especially his big grins.

Zayn lifted a hand to Liam's face and brushed a finger down the bridge of his nose. The sun always brought out his freckles.

"I love you," he whispered into Liam's ear.

Liam closed his eyes and let his muscles relax. Zayn was holding him and loving him. For now, he had nothing to worry about other than mending their relationship.

The rest of the day went fast because they stayed with each other. When the sun set late into the evening, Liam raced to his library and flopped onto one of the beanbags.

Zayn followed him like a lost puppy. He was quiet and carefully edging around his mate, waiting for the moment Liam demanded space again, but that command never came. Two mates couldn't pull at the bond forever, it wasn't natural. They felt better
together, so they stayed close.

After hours of reading and discreetly stealing glances at Zayn, Liam was tired.

After hours of thinking and blatantly staring at Liam, Zayn was tired.

They piled into the bathroom together and Liam paused by the shower door as Zayn hung pyjamas over the side of the bath.

"Oh," Zayn said almost sheepishly. "You're showering? I'll change after-'

"You can join... if you want," Liam interrupted. The way Zayn held him and kissed him earlier had awoken a deep need for affection. They had both struggled enough through the week. Showering together wasn't Liam forgiving Zayn for being so careless with their lives, he was simply giving his body what it craved.