2.50༊*·˚

TW- sensitive content ahead. Read with caution.

Baela hung up. How could she discreetly grab Liam and run when Liam was hugging Mira, telling her how sorry he was for disappearing, and trying to find that connection in their lost friendship.

Baela noted Mira's clear decline. If it was all true, and she was really the Southern Alpha's mate, no wonder she looked like a walking corpse.

But how did she live? Losing a mate should have eventually killed her. Jaiden died a year and nine months ago. Had she held on from sheer stubbornness or had something else kept her alive?

She wondered if Mira would pretend that she didn't know what was going on. How far would she drag the lie? Baela wished Zayn had more to tell her, but if he didn't, it meant that Xavier's last written words were about Mira and Jaiden.

The Beta clenched her fists. She was getting angry. Liam deserved better friends, and if Mira was behind all the Rogues spying on them, and Xavier's  death, she deserved to be with Jaiden deep underground.

"Pardon me if I'm rude," Liam said to Mira, "but you don't look like you've been doing very well. Is this my fault?"

Mira nodded, and Baela pursed her lips to keep sharp words inside her mouth.

"So, it's true, you've been with the wolves this whole time?" Mira asked, seeming to notice Baela's tense demeanour.

"Uh-" Liam glanced to Baela too. "I've been with Zayn this whole time. I know you never liked him, but-"

"But what? You run off with some stranger you barely know and don't come back for years?"

Mira gripped his arms with bony fingers. "Zayn is not good for you."

Liam sighed. "I don't want to have this conversation Mira. You just saw someone shift into a werewolf."

Mira clutched her bag again, stepping back. "Yes, yes that was shocking," she whispered.

Baela smelt Liam's nerves, but all she smelt from Mira was her sickly rose perfume.

"Liam, do you want to phone Zayn? I told him what happened, so we should go because Omegas will be here any minute." Baela's green eyes fixed on Mira as she spoke.

"Is Zayn coming too?" Mira asked.

Would she want him to come?

"No."

Though, Baela was sure Zayn would be among the first Omegas to reach them. Mira's lips curled in disappointment and her mad eyes darted to Liam. Baela didn't know what to do. If she grabbed Liam and tried to run, he wouldn't be easy to drag and would want an explanation. Mira was acting weird, but Liam hadn't noticed. Baela felt like they were stalling for a reason. She smelt a trap.

"Let's go." Baela reached out for Liam and Mira yelled for them to wait.

"I just saw a human turn into a wolf!" she gasped and covered her mouth with a trembling hand.

Baela hardened her gaze, but Liam tried to comfort her. "I know it's weird, but we can't stay out in the open for long. We need to go to the institute where we'll be safe."

"The institute?" Mira asked. "Is that where you've been living?"

"Yes." Liam put her oddness down to shock. She wasn't the stable, fun, stern, and opinionated Mira he once knew. She seemed to be a shell of that person, and Liam felt like he was to blame. "We need to keep moving."

"We're going to the institute?" Mira asked, taking Liam's hand when Baela tried to edge between them.

"Not you," Baela said out of desperation. "Sorry Mira, you'll be safer if you go back to town."