2.62༊*·˚

TW- Mention of sensitive content. Read with caution.

Liam couldn't take his eyes off his parents. They also spent their time smiling at him through their tears.

"I want to ask you so many questions," his father said, and Liam shivered at the sound of his voice. The more he spoke the more familiar it sounded.

"But I feel like I shouldn't get to know you here, and not like this."

Liam understood. "I have questions too, but-"

"Liam Payne!" Mira yelled from the small arched entryway. Liam jumped in his chains and turned to see her glare. "Is Zayn Malik close?"

One of the Rogues slipped back into the dark shadows with a smirk. Liam scolded himself for saying out loud that he felt Zayn nearby. "No."

He lied. Liam could feel the pull on his heart, the warmth in his veins, the excitement itching his skin.

Zayn was closer than before, but Liam wasn't sure if it meant that Zayn was right outside, or a few miles away.

"There are severe consequences if you lie to me." Mira's mad stare flicked to the prisoners chained opposite.

"H- He's around ten miles away" Liam stuttered.

Half-truths were still risky, but he didn't want to admit that Zayn was probably much closer. Mira floated to him and crouched. Liam tried to shift away. His chains would only let him move so far.

"Are you sure about that?" she whispered with an odd smile, looking him up and down.

"Aren't your Rogues spying for you?"

Mira lifted a bony hand and did her best to slap him across the face. The slap was weak and barely stung, but Liam's parents still gasped and pulled on their chains.

Liam frowned, annoyed. He hadn't used any sort of tone with her, he wasn't stupid enough to let his anger get the better of him, unless... She can't communicate with her Rogues inside this cave. Liam hoped he was right. He had an odd feeling that Mira was a little like Zayn; using violence to assert dominance when all else failed.

"How far away is Zayn Malik?" she demanded.

"I don't know exactly. I said about ten miles."

"I don't believe you."

"Then why don't you send Rogues out to look for yourself?"

Mira's lip twitched and she lifted a hand to smack him again, pausing when Liam flinched.

"Tim," she muttered and the Rogue who snitched on him stepped into the flickering light. He had no hair, broken teeth, but large hands and more muscle than the other Rogues.

Tim already knew what Mira wanted him to do. Without stalling, he crouched by Liam, grabbed the scruff of Liam's waterproof coat and slapped him hard across the face.

This time, Liam's head spun sharply to the left and for a moment, the loud slap was all he heard echoing in the cave room. His ears rang, his face stung, and his head pounded.

"Don't!" Sylvia wailed, tugging hopelessly on the rusted chains with her weak skinny arms.

"I'm guessing you guys had a nice little chat then" Mira was pleased with the way Liam grimaced in pain.

Liam had expected some sort of violence. The werewolf world revolved around it. He put on a brave face, desperately blinking back his tears.

Crying and begging for mercy hadn't helped him in the past.