2.25༊*·˚

Zayn returned to the doorway sheepishly. His head was still down, but he stole a glance at his mate through his lashes.

Liam's eyes were bloodshot and tired. He was pale and stood small when he usually had good posture. He looked sick, but they had been apart for a while when mates were supposed to be together as often as possible, which was usually every day.

Zayn wondered how Jaiden managed to stay away from his mate for so long. After a while, he reckoned the pain turned numb, and Jaiden soon forgot what it was like to be held. Zayn was terrified of that happening to Liam and himself.

It's my fault if he walks away. Remember that.

Liam opened and closed his mouth, unsure of what to say. In the moment, he didn't want Zayn to walk away again. Now that he was faced with those sad hazel eyes, his words escaped him. Liam fought to stay where he was, and not run to the person he
longed for the most.

They stared at each other. Zayn was silent, also unsure of what to say.

"Um," Liam cleared his throat and wrapped arms around himself. "Did you want something from this room?"

Zayn shook his head to say no. His heart spiked at the sound of his gentle voice.

"I just- I wanted to see you." He stared at his feet and mumbled, "Sorry if you didn't want to see me."

I'm not sure what I want. Liam longed to say something that would put a smile on Zayn's pained face. At the same time, Liam wanted the sorrow to weep from Zayn's eyes, his words, and his actions.

"How have you been?" Liam asked, knowing the answer, but he had to say something.

"Not good. I know you haven't been either."

Liam was silent.

"I- um," Zayn struggled as a lump rose in his throat.

His mate stood in the morning light, beautiful as always. Zayn longed to bury his nose into his wavy brown hair, and kiss his hot cheeks, and hold his small hands.

"I can't do another night without you."

Liam held their gaze, and he finally stood up straight, crossing his arms rather than gripping himself for comfort.

"Why?" he asked blankly.

"Because..." Zayn wanted to shrug his shoulders.

He dug his thumb into his palm, begging himself to open up. "It hurts too much"

"Why?"

"Because we've been apart too long."

"Why?"

Zayn once again lowered his head. Liam's stern stare poked him too hard. "I fucked up."

"How?"

"I lost myself for a moment."

"No"

Zayn frowned.

"You've never been yourself." Liam thought there was no better time to say it. He had been given time to think freely about what kind of a person Zayn had grown to be. Liam still wasn't sure, even after living with him for almost two years.

"I don't know who you are. You show me so many different faces. How am I supposed to know which one is real?"

"I'm going to try and-"

"No," Liam said bluntly. "You will change. If not for yourself, then do it for me, and your mum, and your pack. Do it for Baela who has always believed in you, and do it for Niall who died saving our lives.!"