2.24༊*·˚

The day dragged for both Zayn and Liam. As they spent their time on opposite sides of the building, the pack wandered aimlessly between them, not sure what to do, or what to expect for their future. Liam had tried to go to the games room to play board games with Lynx and the rest of the running club but laughing and smiling felt wrong when his soulmate was locked away, lonely and depressed.

Of course, the wolves understood and didn't pester Liam when he curled up in the corner of the room to read his book. Liam wanted to go to his library, but that was too close to Zayn and he wasn't yet ready to speak without getting angry or upset.

The evening felt like an eternity, and Liam soon realised why. He had stayed up later than normal, and only looked up from his book when he noticed the silence. It was 2am, and he was probably the only one awake, apart from Zayn.

The Alpha sat on the couch, staring hopeless around the bedroom that smelt less and less like Liam with each passing hour. Zayn had to get through another lonely night, and he was wondering if he should stay up all night or try to sleep on the couch. He couldn't sleep on the bed again, not by himself.

Liam absence spoke loudly. Zayn expected him to creep back and forgive him, but he had done his best to keep his distance. Zayn was sure Liam would find him after seeing him in the canteen during breakfast, but Liam didn't even get close.

How many more days will he avoid me?

The night crawled on, then the day passed him by, and Zayn found himself alone for a third night. He didn't see Liam yesterday because he was careful not to go where he could smell him. Liam wanted space and Zayn was doing his best to respect that.

"This fucking hurts," he muttered, glaring from his window and clutching his chest. Zayn threw the notepad onto his bed. He tried to write an apology, but his words didn't feel authentic enough. He meant every word, but it was too simple and cold.

"How do I be emotional?" Zayn wrapped arms around himself.

I need Liam.

Every waking moment, he thought about his mate. The longer they were apart, the more desperate they were to be together.

Zayn was hurting, therefore Liam would be hurting too.

"Stubborn little shit," Zayn mumbled, thinking of Liam's brown eyes. "God I love him."

Liam's mental strengths impressed Zayn more each day. Zayn knew he stayed away for so long to show him how mad he was, and how done he was with Zayn's behaviour.

Zayn needed to show his mate how much he was sorry. Storming up to Liam and kissing him senseless was not good enough. Zayn wasn't sure if Liam was waiting for him to approach, or if he was waiting for Liam to approach. Soon, one of them would cave and find the other.

He's stronger than me.

Zayn fell asleep on the windowsill and woke to his shoulder hitting the wooden floor. He groaned and rolled onto his back, staring at the skylight in his ceiling. Clouds stared back. Zayn only had to sniff the air to know who was in his room too.

"Baela," he said with a soft tone. "What are you doing here?"

"To see how you're getting on with the apologies." Baela crossed one leg over the other and linked her fingers with several golden rings. Her dark hair was slicked back into a ponytail exploding with curls.

She wore black jeans, a white vest and a purple denim Jacket with a wolf's head embroidered on the back.

Liam had gotten her patches to sew on for her birthday, so now she had a moon on her left shoulder, and 'No.1 Beta' on the left chest.