2.20༊*·˚

Liam felt Zayn close behind him, and he couldn't help but to feel irritated. He wanted to yell and cry and tell Zayn everything he disliked about him in that current moment, but wolves were close, and they had to be quiet and move quickly. They jogged over a narrow human-made path and down a steep slope. Liam almost tumbled headfirst to the rocks below, but Zayn grabbed his rucksack, pulling him closer.

When they were down the slope, Liam shoved him off and took the lead again.

"This way," Zayn said, moving left towards a stream. "The Packhouse is this way."

Liam followed him with a scowl. They ran along the stream for a while. Liam occasionally glanced to Zayn, waiting for the signal that they were safe, but that signal didn't arrive for miles.

"Alright" Zayn said, a little out of breath and with soaked shoes, "they don't smell close anymore."

They pulled away from the stream and entered the thicker part of the forest where the trees were knobbly and twisted. Dashes of orange scattered Liam's vision, and brown and red leaves covered the woodland floor. The start of autumn was a magical time for the forest. Thick blankets of green moss covered the rocks and roots of ancient trees, colours of greens, yellows, oranges and reds stretched as far as Liam could see. The sun peeked through the branches, casting golden spotlights all over the ground.

Liam wished he could enjoy the sight, but he was more focused on his anger towards Zayn. At least the fresh air calmed him. It had rained through the night, and the sweet smell of life eroded all around him.

They passed a huge oak tree with thick distorted branches spreading out like a giant wooden hand clawing from the earth. Liam would have loved to climb it, yet his days had taken a more serious turn. He could not forgive Zayn so easily. If he did, Zayn would never learn that the consequences of his actions hurt Liam tremendously.

"How far away are we from the Institute?" Liam asked, feeling Zayn's eyes on him.

Zayn hated when he called the Packhouse 'the Institute', but Liam felt as though it wasn't his home, not right now.

"Just over a mile." Zayn could tell judging by the smells, and he knew the woods very well. The silence dug into Zayn like a blade to his throat. He knew he had a lot of apologising to do, but his words would not come, and that seemed to anger Liam more.

When they were only half a mile from the Packhouse, a permanent frown sat between Liam's brows. His lips curled into unfamiliar sadness.

"What were you doing far from the Packhouse?" Zayn asked eventually.

Liam not only kept his hands to himself, but he made sure at least a metre was always between them. His hostile behaviour churned Zayn's stomach. Now Zayn understood how much it ached.

"I was looking for you, and partially running away. I don't feel wanted there." Liam thought back to the Omega Wolves in his safe space.

"Who is making you feel unwanted?"

"You."

Zayn tried to make eye contact. Liam only stared ahead with his stubborn frown.

"I don't mean to-"

"But you still do it, don't you? You still belittle me in front of your pack, teaching them that it's okay for them to do the same. You have no idea how much that separates me from you and your pack."

Our pack, Zayn thought sadly. "I just got angry."

"You always do," Liam muttered.

"I'm sorry."