1.17𓆩ᥫ᭡𓆪

The trail to the top of Ethdellin hill was occasionally very steep. In the ice and snow, Liam's yellow converse slipped on everything. Zayn's black boots helped to stay grounded, though even he occasionally felt unsteady.

Liam was clumsy, and all it took was a breathy
wind to make him fall. Once Liam was unstable, he couldn't regain his balance.

They neared the top, and the snow was falling
harder.

"Have you been to Ethdellin hill before?" Liam asked, a little out of breath.

"A few times. You?"

"I used to go a lot. It's quiet."

"It is," Zayn agreed.

They had seen nobody on the trail so far, until
suddenly an older man and his sheepdog strolled
into view, walking down the hill and covered in
snow.

"Oh, Liam, hello lad" the man said, tipping the front of his cap. He looked to Zayn and said nothing.

"Hi, Daniel." Liam smiled at the sheepdog, who
stared at Zayn, motionless. Her tail pointed out as though something troubled the dog.

"Come," Daniel said with a strange frown. "Meadow, Come." He moved down the hill and expected the dog to follow. She didn't.

Liam had known Daniel for years; everyone knew
him. He was the local farmer and had Meadow, the dog, for as long as Liam could remember. Meadow was a well-trained pet and was exceptionally loyal to Daniel. She never disobeyed his commands.

"Meadow," Daniel said again. Her blue eyes looked up at Zayn and nowhere else. Zayn stared back, not breaking the gaze.

"Zayn, l-let's go," Liam said. Dogs made him anxious.

He reached out to tug lightly on Zayn's sleeve. As
soon as his fingers grazed the material, Meadow bared her teeth and barked at Liam.

Liam gasped and jumped back. He slipped on the
frozen ground while Meadow growled.

"No!" Zayn demanded, and Meadow stopped
immediately. She laid on the ground, whimpering.

Zayn leaned over her, and she rested her jaw to the ground. "Go," he growled.

Meadow shot away from him and back down the hill.

Daniel's suspicious eyes didn't follow his dog; he
watched Zayn. "Liam" he said in a hard tone. "Be
safe up there, son."

Liam, still on the ground, looked down the hill as Daniel hesitantly left them alone to follow his dog. Before he could get up himself, hands were under his arms, pulling him to his feet.

"That was- strange," Liam observed.

"Why?" Zayn asked. Keep dropping the clues.

"W-Well, Meadow usually only responds to Daniel. It was suddenly like y-you were in charge," Liam said with a chuckle.

Zayn's face didn't move an inch. "We're almost at
the top," he said and turned to continue walking.
He felt Liam staring, which was a good sign. Liam
suspected something.

"D-Do you like dogs?" Liam asked, trying to catch up with Zayn's long strides.

"No."

"Oh." Liam followed him the best he could. Zayn had started marching with a frown.

"Do you?" Zayn asked, watching him from the
corner of his eye.

"I used to" Liam said. Now I'm just scared.
Zayn seemed to notice Liam struggling to keep up and stopped storming ahead. Dogs were territorial.