2.1༊*·˚

───※   Happy New Year  & welcome to the second season of Twisted Fate   ※───

A year and eight months later

In the darkness, there was only peace. Well, if Liam were on the other side of the fence, he might not be so relaxed. The perimeter of the institute was his home. The trees beyond were not so safe.

Liam had watched the sunset turn to dusk, then to the deep black night as time went on. Stars watched over him, then the moon peeked from the top of the trees, basking him in more comfort.

Liam had spent most of the day on his own. He always did on the 4th of September, the date that now marked 8 years since his parent's death.

Liam liked to think about them, and get sad when the memories made him sad, and smile at the memories he missed with all his heart.

When the summer air started to feel less warm, Liam rolled up his burgundy blanket an turned towards the institute. The washed-out yellow brick was silver in the moonlight. Around 50 windows stared back. Liam found the window to their room on the third floor. A familiar figured silhouette stood out against the light of the bedroom, watching him. Liam knew Zayn could see him, even in the dark.

He remembered the day he saw the institute up close, the day he trespassed. Liam smiled at the distant memory and walked through the trimly cut grass, feeling the cold blades between his toes.

Zayn was gone from the window as Liam neared the door.

He hurried through the corridors he had walked through for a year and 8 months. He knew his way around the institute very well and had taken his time to explore the corridors nobody really went down. Liam had even been in the many different basements, though he had taken Zayn with him. Liam wasn't a fan of being in cold and dark underground places alone.

The hour was late, and Liam didn't see a single soul on his way to the third floor. As he approached the bedroom, he smiled at the names painted on their black bedroom door. Liam had painted Zayn's name in colourful letters. Zayn had painted Liam's name in an untidy grey.

Liam entered the bedroom to see Zayn lying on his side of the bed, warming it. They developed the habit when winters were just too cold without heating. Zayn would lay on Liam's side of the bed while Liam had a shower, so Liam could crawl onto a warm mattress.

The habit stuck, and Zayn even did it on warm summer nights.

"Hi" Zayn said, wearing black shorts and no top.

"Ready for bed?" His abs tensed when he rolled over and patted Liam's side.

Liam climbed onto the bed but collapsed on top of Zayn. They had barely seen each other all day. Zayn knew Liam needed the space.

"How's my world?" Zayn whispered when his mate struggled to smile.

"I'm okay" Liam muffled into his shoulder. Thinking about his parents all day had made him emotional. He just needed a good sleep.

Zayn knew that too. He rolled onto his side and held Liam tightly. The window was open, and the breeze was a little colder than usual, so Zayn wouldn't bake with another warm body against him.

"Sleep well" he whispered.

Liam slotted his fingers between Zayn's fingers. He couldn't speak when all he could see was his mother's face when he closed his eyes. Liam welcomed the memories, letting his mother's smile be the last thing he thought about before sleeping.