Chapter 8

We are in a clinic closeby. The doctor is attending to Becky while I am waiting outside with the driver and few other people from the event. My heart is aching a lot and I keep pacing up and down praying that she gets well. In a minute my phone started ringing and that was Lily calling. I moved away from others to take that.

"Freen I want you to stay calm as I break this news to you" she said over the phone.

"You are right. The girl at the hospital is really Becky. Her name is Rebecca Patricia Armstrong..."

"I know Liliana. I already know" I said weakly.

"Really? How did you know?" She asked.

"I am with her right now."

Silence

"Thank you for your effort though. I will see you later..."

"Wait Freen" she called stopping me from ending the call.

"Are you okay?"

"I am not Lily. Becky doesn't know me anymore"

"What do you mean she doesn't know you ....?" She said.

I was about to say something when the doctor came out.

"I'll talk to you later" I said and ended the call.

The doctor called me into his office and ushered me a seat. Now I am so curious and equally scared to hear what he has to say.

"Are you a family member?" He asked.

"Uhm.. not really. I hope everything is fine doctor?"

"She is fine now. But it's best she doesn't get herself in that situation again"

"What situation doctor?" I asked worriedly.

"She strained her brain. It's not good for her"

"What are you talking about?"

"Having amnesia is not the end of the world. I know she must be so curious to remember everything that has happened in her life but forcing herself to remember that may cause more harm".

"Her amnesia may get worst if she keeps stressing her brain. It's best she remembers on her own without having to force it" the doctor continued.

I became so shocked. Becky has amnesia? Is that why she acted that way? That's why she also didn't recognize me at all. Oh my God! Why is this happening to me? Just when I thought I found her, now this? it's so painful.

I thanked the doctor and left his office to the room where Becky is. She's sleeping soundly on the bed when I got in, so I sat beside her. Tears started gathering in my eyes when I saw the scar on her neck. I can never forget how scared I was that day seeing that deep cut on her neck but It's all healed now.

I am so relieved that she's alive after everything even though she doesn't remember me, I am thankful to God that she was saved that day.

I started caressing her cheeks while trying so hard to hold back my tears. This may be the last time I will be this close to her. I will have to keep my distance when she wakes up so that I won't trigger her.

"I am happy you're alive Becky. But I will have to keep everything from you so you won't strain your memory again. I hope you remember everything on your own soon"

"And when you do, please come back to me and love me like you used to four years ago" I said and let go of my tears.

I was caressing her cheeks when she gradually opened her eyes. She's awake now. I quickly dried my tears and helped her sit up. She's looking at me surprisingly. I let out an awkward smile but she didn't smile back.