Chapter 9

Aemma and Viserys talk about future children. Daemon is finally able to get Rhaenyra to take Syrax to the dragon pit and speak to Caraxes. I hope you guys like it. 🥰

7 days later.

The past few days had been a little awkward between her and Viserys. Aemma had not been able to perform her wifely duties, she just could not bring herself to. Knowing what her husband would do to her in a few years did not exactly make her feel loving towards him. He appeared confused that she did not want to be with him, and Aemma could not tell him what the reason was. If there was something she had learned from this was that her husband could not be trusted to keep things to himself. He had almost told Otto Hightower about Damon and Nyra and Aemma could not take a chance that he would tell the man about what would happen and give him any ideas. For some reason she did not understand Aemma had known that Otto Hightower had something to do with Viserys's second marriage.

When Aemma had met Viserys she had been three and ten and he had swept her off her feet. He had always professed to love her more than anything. To know that someone who loved her more than anything could kill her so horribly was a humbling thought. How was she supposed to continue being wed to him with everything she knew? Her lovemaking with Viserys had never been passionate, not like what she had seen between Damon and Nyra. She had seen both of them kiss once and they had appeared to want to devour each other, to crawl into each other's skin. Things with Viserys had been pleasant, but it had not been all-consuming. Her husband did not seem to care much for her pleasure or he just did not know what to do. Of course, she could not be sure since he was the only man she had ever been with that way. She had many questions and she had no idea who to ask or how to ask.

"I have been meaning to speak with you." Aemma sighed at Viserys's voice. Her husband sat across from her and she knew she would not like this conversation. "I think I know why you have not been wanting to attempt to get with child once more."

"You do?"

"Yes, I spoke to one of the midwives and she told me about the child you lost." She tensed, she had not wanted him to know about the babe she had lost. For him to add another failure to her list. "I am sorry, I know that must have been painful for you."

"Painful for me?" She hoped her voice did not sound as annoyed as she felt. "I was in bed for two days, weak because of the blood loss. Yes, Viserys, it was very painful."

"I am sorry, you should have told me, I would have been there for you." She was not so sure about that, but she could not tell him that, not without telling him why she had doubts. "But we cannot let this stop us. We will have more children."

"Will we?" Her hands fisted on her lap. "Why? Every time I have a miscarriage my life is put in danger. I grieve for the children I have lost, and I do not just get weaker physically, but also in my mind. Why should I want to go through that pain over and over again?"

"I understand, Aemma." Did he? She was not sure if he understood anything, or if he just did not care. "But we need more children, at least a son. I need an heir."

"You have an heir." She narrowed her eyes, wanting to hit him over the head and make him understand what he was really asking of her. She wanted him to see what they already had instead of wishing for something else. "Rhaenyra is our heir, she is smart, beautiful, and fierce. She is everything you could want in an heir and more."

"But she is not a boy." The condescension in his voice was annoying her. "You know that the lords will never accept her as heir."

"Who cares what the lords accept?" She did not understand why he was so worried about other people's opinions instead of worrying about his own family. "You are a Targaryen, you are a dragon. Why are you allowing people to tell you what you should do?"