Chapter 25

We get to see a bit after the tourney. Aemma has a talk with Alicent. I hope you guys like it. 🥰

King Jaehaerys retired right after the tourney had ended, he was not feeling well. Nyra knew that his time was close, he was dying. It confused Nyra a bit because in her world her grandsire had lasted about three more years. Maybe it was the gods doing, but for now, things were going well. Viserys was sitting in a corner with Otto beside him, and Alicent sitting next to her father. The poor girl looked miserable and Nyra could not help but feel bad for her. She might hated her stepmother, but this Alicent was still innocent and she was in a very bad position.

"Nyra!" She laughed when Rhaenyra ran to her. The little girl had been having an amazing time during the tourney. She had been especially happy when Daemon had asked for her favor. "Play with me."

"I thought you were going to be spending some time with your father?" Rhaenyra had been happy to sit close to Viserys during the tourney and had announced to everyone that her father would play with her during the garden party. But Viserys was sitting by Otto and seemed to be drinking more than usual. "Why are you not with him?"

"He got upset when I gave my favor to Uncle Daemon." The small girl shrugged. "When we arrived at the garden he said he had more important things to do."

Nyra felt anger at that, it was like seeing herself all over again, which in a way it was. Her father always had more important things to worry about than spending time with her, especially after he wed Alicent. He had made her his cupbearer, but never allowed her to give an opinion, and every time she attempted to speak he would tell her it was not a matter for women. Apparently, her father had started his neglect a bit earlier this time around.

"Where are your mother and grandsire?" She had seen Aemma and Baelon speaking to a few of the lords earlier.

"They are talking to Corlys and Rhaenys." Rhaenyra took her hand and pulled along.

Nyra smiled at how pushy the little girl was and attempted to remember if she had behaved the same way when she was that age. She remembered Daemon telling her once that at three name days old she had everyone wrapped around her finger.

"Rhaenyra!" The small girl and Nyra turned as Laenor Velaryon ran towards them. He stopped in front of them and gave a quick bow. "Do you want to play?"

"Yes!" Rhaenyra let go of her hand the idea of playing with someone closer to her age was more appealing. The small girl started to run away before stopping and looking back at her. "Do you mind?"

"No," Nyra answered with a smile. "Go ahead."

Rhaenyra and Laenor ran away to play, leaving Nyra on her own once more. She had seen her husband walking around and talking to a man she had never seen before. She started to get worried, the faceless man said that it would only take a few hours for Otto to die since he had used all the poison. She had been watching Otto and he did not seem to be having any issues, he appeared to be a bit uncomfortable, but nothing too bad.

"Have you seen Rhaenyra?" She jumped at the voice and turned to see Aemma giving her an apologetic look. "I am sorry, I did not mean to scare you."

"It is fine." She took a deep breath. "Rhaenyra went with Laenor to play. I thought you and Baelon were speaking to the Velaryons."

"I was, but I needed a few minutes away from them." Nyra could tell Aemma was annoyed. "I love Rhaenys, she is one of the strongest women I have ever met, but I am not too pleased about her husband."

"He is not happy that his wife is being passed over for Baelon." Aemma nodded even though it had not been a question. "Corlys's greatest ambition was to have his blood on the throne. Once Aemon passed away he believed that he would be the next king."