Chapter 19

Baelon and Aemma's betrothal is announced. Rhaenyra asks Daemon some uncomfortable questions. I hope you guys like it. 🥰

4 days later.

Aemma smiled as she watched Rhaenyra run around. Her daughter had been excited since the night before when Daemon, Nyra, and Damon had promised to take her on a dragon ride to Dragonstone. Daemon had asked for her permission the night before and told her they would also have a picnic. Her daughter had been so excited that Aemma could not tell her no. She also did not want her daughter's life to change too much. Aemma had spoken to Rhaenyra and told her about her and Baelon's wedding. Her daughter had been a bit confused and did not understand everything that was happening. But Rhaenyra had heard from someone else that Viserys had asked for a divorce. Aemma had to explain to Rhaenyra what a divorce was and that just because she and her father would no longer be together did not mean that Viserys did not love her.

Rhaenyra had been a bit upset that her father wanted to leave her and told Aemma that she did not have to see Viserys ever again. She felt bad for her daughter, she was so young and a lot of things would not make sense now. Baelon had told her that the king would announce their betrothal this morning and they had decided that it would be best if she and Rhaenyra were not present. Baelon knew that Viserys would not react well and he did not want her or Rhaenyra caught up in the middle. So Aemma had spent the last hour in the gardens with her daughter and three guards.

"KEPUS!" Rhaenyra took off running as fast as her small legs would carry her and threw herself in her uncle's arms. "Are we going now?"

"Yes, in just a minute," Daemon answered before kissing the side of the little girl's head.

Baelon also kissed her daughter's head before moving towards Aemma, his smile took her breath away and made her knees weak. She could have sworn her legs shook. She had a harder time being near him since that kiss. All she wanted was for him to kiss her again, but she did not want to ask him. He had helped her so much already and she did not wish to be greedy.

"Good day, Aemma." He stopped in front of her and took her hand, helping her stand. "It is done, my father announced our engagement and we will be wed in three weeks."

"And are you ok?" His expression was questioning. "I cannot imagine Viserys took well to the news."

"He did not say anything." Baelon shrugged. "He seemed too shocked to speak. When my father ended court he was still standing there with a disbelieving look on his face, he did not say anything as I walked away."

Aemma opened her mouth, but Rhaenyra ran up to them, hugging Baelon's leg and looking up at him.

"Do I have to call you father now?" Rhaenyra asked.

"What?" Baelon shook his head. "Of course not, little hatchling. You already have a father."

"Ohh." Rhaenyra frowned and gave Baelon an inquisitive look. "Am I going to have a little brother or sister? Or are you too old to have children?"

"Too old?" Baelon looked so offended that Aemma had to cover her mouth to stop her laugh from escaping. Daemon made no such attempts, he was doubled over with laughter as Baelon gave Rhaenyra an incredulous look. "I am not old. Who told you I was old?"

"Uncle Daemon did." Rhaenyra pointed at a laughing Daemon. "He says you are close to your grave and your heart might give out at any moment." Rhaenyra frowned as she stared at her grandsire. "But you do not look that old to me. At least, you are not as wrinkly as grandsire Jaehaerys."

Rhaenyra smiled at her grandsire as she ran back to her uncle and laughed when he picked her up and kissed her cheek. Daemon waved at Baelon and Aemma as he walked away with his niece. Baelon just stood there glaring at the back of his son's head as Aemma attempted to hold back her laughter.