Chapter 12

Baelon deals with Viserys. Daemon and Rhaenyra talk. I hope you guys like it. 🥰

Baelon attempted to calm himself down as he walked to Viserys's chambers. When Daemon had gone to him and told him what Viserys had done he had a hard believing it. He had never known his son to be violent or to hit Rhaenyra, then he had seen the bruises on his granddaughter's arm, and fury had filled his body. Viserys should have known better than to treat a small child that way. The small girl had not stopped crying, only calming herself when she was in Aemma's arms. His niece and good daughter had been furious also but refused to leave her child alone. Baelon had disciplined his children before, but never in that way, that was not the way he had raised Viserys and Daemon. The guards saw him coming and opened the doors to Viserys's chambers without him having to say anything. When he entered the chambers and saw Otto with Viserys he was even more upset.

"Get the fuck out!" Viserys immediately stood up and Otto looked at his son, making Baelon want to punch him. He glared at the man. "Did you not hear me? I said GET OUT!"

This time Otto jumped and almost ran out of the room. Baelon just glared at his son and noticed Viserys would not look at him. His son cleared his throat.

"Father, I..."

"I do not want to hear it." His voice was harsh. "Because I am afraid if I listen to what you have to say I will beat you until you cannot stand." Baelon looked at the man he had raised and shook his head. "What were you thinking?"

"I was disciplining my daughter." Viserys still would not look him in the eye. "Daemon had no right to intervene."

"Daemon had every right to intervene." Where had his gentle son gone? "What happened to you? You were gentle and loving."

"Nothing happened to me." This time Viserys did look at him. "I thought this was what you wanted, for me to be stronger."

"This was not what I meant when I asked you to be strong." Viserys was not supposed to behave this way. "I wanted you to be decisive and to care about your family, not to hurt them. How could you hurt Rhaenyra? She is just a child, she is your daughter and you left bruises on her arms."

"I did not mean to hurt her." His son looked like he was about to cry. "I did not realize I was holding her so tight."

"You did not realize you were holding her so tight?" Baelon moved fast, snatching his son's hand and squeezing until Viserys flinched. "You are a man and this is uncomfortable for you. What did you think a hold like this would do to a small child like Rhaenyra, whose small wrist can fit in your hands twice over?"

"I..." Viserys flinched when Baelon squeezed harder.

"And then you shook her." He hated doing this, he was not someone who enjoyed hurting other people for no reason. "Do you have any idea how horrible she must have felt when her father attacked her? She has not stopped crying since then."

"I did not mean to." Baelon let go of Viserys's hand. "I will go and see her now."

"No, you will not." Baelon grabbed the side of his son's head, making Viserys look into his eyes. "I know that discovering what Daemon and Rhaenyra's relationship would be in the future shocked you, but I need you to move on from it. Think that Rhaenyra has someone who loves her more than anything, who adores her and cares for her. Why is that such a bad thing?"

"Daemon is another Maegor, he will never be good enough for Rhaenyra."

Baelon's eyes widened as he let go of his son's face and took a step back. Having his eldest son compare his youngest son to the cruelest Targaryen king in history felt like a direct blow to the chest.