Chapter 33

A bit of the aftermath of when Rhaenyra was attacked. Aemma goes into labor. I hope you guys like it. 🥰

Daemon attempted not to laugh as Aemma glared at his father. He felt for the poor man, who had not had a moment of peace since discovering Aemma's pregnancy. His father was worried, not only because of what Nyra and Damon had revealed about what had happened to Aemma, but because his last wife had died after childbirth. Daemon knew that his father, Nyra, and Damon would not breathe easy until Aemma had given birth. His stepmother had given in to his father's demands for the most part, but now she was so large that his father did not want her to leave the chambers for too long.

"You cannot keep me prisoner," Aemma said while glaring at Baelon. "I am not going to stay in these chambers for the next moon."

"I am not trying to keep you prisoner." His father was very patient, Daemon would have lost his patience by now. "You are very large, I need you to be careful."

"I am not so large." Aemma protested and Daemon snorted. His stepmother turned her glare towards him. "You have something to say?"

"You are huge." Maybe there was a more delicate way to say that. "Your belly enters a room a full minute before you do."

"It does not." Aemma looked so offended and then she turned towards Baelon. "Am I that large?"

"Uhm.." His father looked terrified and this time Daemon did laugh out loud. "I love you."

"That is not an answer." Aemma looked ready to kill Baelon, who looked ready to kill Daemon for putting him in that position.

The camber doors opened and his father's kingsguard ran in. His face was pale, which made Daemon nervous.

"Your graces," The man swallowed. "Someone attacked Princess Rhaenyra in the Godswood, in the struggle her dragon was injured."

"What?" His father stood up, while Aemma struggled to stand up as well. "Where is my granddaughter?"

"She is the Godswood, she refused to come with us." The guard said and winced when Baelon moved closer to him.

"And a four name day old child overpowered you?" Baelon asked.

"Caraxes appeared and killed the man who attacked the princess and her dragon." The man swallowed. "He would not allow us to get close."

Daemon did not wait to hear anything else before he took off running. He knew that Caraxes would not harm his niece under normal circumstances, but Caraxes was a bit volatile when it came to Syrax. He had become incredibly fond of the small dragon and he must be very upset that Syrax had been hurt.

Daemon entered the Godswood and stopped when he saw half the body of the man who had attempted to take his niece. Rhaenyra was sitting beside Syrax, running a hand over her head and talking softly to her. Caraxes's head lay next to the small girl while he made soft noises, keeping Syrax calm. Daemon approached his niece and kneeled beside her, watching the knife stuck on Syrax's leg.

"The bad man hurt her kepus." He felt his heart clench when Rhaenyra looked at him, big fat tears running down her face. "She was trying to protect me."

"I know little dragon." He ran a hand over Rhaenyra's head. "Do not worry, Syrax will be well. I will make sure that she is not hurt any longer."

Rhaenyra nodded and moved aside a little bit. Daemon attempted to calm Syrax while wrapping his hand around the hilt of the knife, he waited a few seconds until the small dragon was calm once more before yanking out the knife. Syrax screeched in pain and Caraxes lifted his head, glaring at him.