Chapter 26

Baelon talks to Hobert Hightower about Alicent's future wedding. Rhaenyra attempts to help Viserys, not that he realizes it. I hope you guys like it. 🥰

Damon resisted the urge to laugh as Hobert Hightower attempted to keep his composure while speaking to his father. Since his grandsire was very ill, Baelon was the one in charge as heir to the throne and hand of the king. It had been two days since Otto's death and Hobert had already sent his brother's body to Oldtown, he had stayed behind to resolve Alicent's wedding. The man had not been expecting Baelon's amendments to the contract and had been shocked. Damon was a bit surprised too, but he was also happy about the changes.

"This was not what we agreed on, my prince." Baelon just lifted an eyebrow and looked amused. "Prince Viserys and my brother decided that the prince would wed Alicent as soon as appropriate after his divorce."

"My lord, your niece is too young to be wed, she will not be of age for three years." Baelon's expression did not change. "I would think that as the person responsible for her well-being you would not want your niece to be in danger."

"Of course not, my prince." The man swallowed. "I just want to make sure people will not attempt to take advantage of my niece now that her father is gone."

"Are you making some kind of accusation, Lord Hobert?" Baelon narrowed his eyes at the man and Damon hid his smile behind his cup. "I would advise you to tread carefully."

"Of course not." The man knew he had overstepped and attempted to save face. "My niece informed me that Princess Aemma requested her as her lady in waiting. Is that such a good idea?"

"Do you have something against my wife?" Damon's smile left his face and he could tell that his father was truly upset. Baelon looked like he was about to leap over the table and attack the other man. "Because she is a Targaryen princess and a dragon rider, your niece would be lucky to be under her care."

"Of course, my prince." Hobert looked terrified and even Damon was a bit worried that Baelon would attack the lord, especially because they had nothing against Hobert Hightower to justify killing him. "I did not mean any disrespect."

"I am sure you did not." Baelon's voice was calmer, but he was still glaring at the other man. "Your niece will be treated like the lady she is and we will review this contract once she has turned six and ten, and not a moment before."

Hobert nodded but did not say anything, he knew he had lost. The lord bowed and walked out of the room. Damon turned to his father, who still looked a bit annoyed.

"For a moment I thought you would attack him."

"I knew what he was thinking as soon as he mentioned Aemma's name." Baelon shook his head. "I cannot believe he had the audacity to come to me and ask about his niece's wedding when his brother just died."

"For them, power is more important." Damon shrugged. "I am surprised Aemma asked Alicent to be her lady."

"Aemma believes she is innocent." Baelon looked at him for a moment. "What do you think?"

"I am not the person to ask." He would not lie to his father. "I believe all Hightowers should die, but I am sure my wife will have a different answer if you asked her."

"I thought Nyra hated Alicent?"

"The Alicent in our world." Sometimes it was hard to explain certain things. "But she sees this Alicent as innocent, this girl has not been corrupted yet. She does not know what it feels like to be queen, to have that power in her hands."

"Aemma also wants to be able to watch her."

"That is smart." Damon agreed with Aemma. "We should make sure Alicent stays innocent because the moment she stops we will need to kill her."