Chapter 39

This chapter will take place in one world only. Daemon and Rhaenys talk. We see some things from the TV show. I hope you guys like it. 🥰

"We are all happy that you are back." Rhaenys hugged him and patted his back. "I was sure Rhaenyra would fly to Essos to look for you."

"Yes, the first thing she asked when I arrived was about presents." Daemon laughed. "Did you miss all the chaos I caused?"

"Not exactly. We got three small children who are more than happy to cause trouble." Rhaenys gave Daemon a secretive look. "Did you know that yesterday right before you arrived they attacked the septas by throwing dragon dung at them?"

Daemon burst out laughing, that sounded like something Rhaenyra would do and he was sure she had dragged her brothers into it. The boys adored Rhaenyra and always wanted to follow her around. Even Aemon always wanted to follow after his brothers and sister even if he was still too young.

"I am glad you are here, I have been meaning to speak with you." Daemon had always admired Rhaenys and wanted to make sure she would not resent him or his father for the decision he had made. "My father told me he was planning to name me hand of the king and I wanted to make sure you do not think I returned to usurp your place."

"Of course not, Daemon." Rhaenys patted his shoulder and gave him a genuine smile. "I have always known your father wished to name you hand and to be honest, it makes perfect sense. He is trying to prepare you to be king one day. I have always known this and I am thankful for the small respite I will get."

"You do not want to be hand any longer?"

"For now, I have more important things to worry about." Rhaenys let out a sigh. "My children are growing and I want to spend more time with them. Especially since Corlys has started to look for a husband for Laena. I want to make sure he picks someone who will make my daughter happy. If I leave things to Corlys, he will pick someone based on how much gold they have or how powerful they can make him."

"Has he given up on wedding Laena to me?" His father had told him what Corlys had said years ago. While his father had refused Daemon knew that Corlys was not a man who gave up easily.

"He was holding on to the idea for a while, but I made sure he gave up on it." Rhaenys shrugged. "Baelon made it clear that Rhaenyra would be your wife. We all knew how serious he was when he annulled your marriage to Rhea Royce without giving them any explanation."

"I do not think they were too interested in one." Rhea hated him as much as he hated her. "My dear wife never cared about me, which worked in my favor since she did not protest when my father annulled her marriage."

"Well, it all worked in your favor then," Rhaenys said with a smile.

"Are you and your family going to stay in Kings Landing?"

"No," Rhaenys shook her head. "As soon as your father makes your new title official Corlys, the children and I will be returning to Driftmark. We have been away from our home for too long and the children miss it. To be honest, I miss it also."

"I hope you come visit us from time to time." Daemon bumped his shoulders against his cousin's. "Do not become a stranger."

"I will not." Rhaenys kissed his cheek. "The same goes for you. You can visit whenever you want."

Daemon nodded, while he was sad that Rhaenys was leaving, he wanted to show his father that he could be a capable king.