Chapter 17

We get a small look into Viserys's mind. Baelon and Aemma finally talk. ☺️. I hope you guys like it. 🥰

Viserys was furious that his father had intervened with his plans and to discover that the Arryns had found a new husband for Aemma so quickly. He should not be too surprised about the second one, Aemma was a stunning woman and very sweet. He had loved her since the moment he met her and had never stopped, he was not sure he could stop. But Otto was right, a wife's purpose was to provide heirs and for the past few moons, Aemma had not even wanted to be in his bed, much less get with child. He knew she had a difficult time with her previous pregnancies and the only surviving child was Rhaenyra, but he needed a boy to be secure. Otto kept telling him how now it might not matter that his heir was a girl, but once he was king people would not be happy about it.

"My prince." Viserys was happy to have Otto support him, the man was in touch with the people and knew what they wanted. He was also incredibly smart. "I have brought the contract for your marriage with my daughter. I have already signed it and once you have then we can take it to the king."

"I am not sure my grandsire will allow me to wed Alicent while she is still so young." Alicent was only three and ten.

"We can speak to the king." Otto's smile was understanding. "I am sure once we explain the situation he will allow the wedding to take place."

"The Arryns have found someone to wed Aemma to." Otto's eyes widened and Viserys was pleased not to be the only one in the dark. "My father just told me about it."

"Did he say who the man was?"

"No, he just told me not to worry about it."

But he was worried about it, his father would not allow him to take Rhaenyra from Aemma, which meant that this man would be near his daughter. He missed his little girl, how sweet and happy she always was. Rhaenyra had a way of making people around her happy, everyone who met her fell in love with her. No wonder she had been nicknamed the realm's delight.

Of course, his daughter was not too happy with him right now. He still flinched every time he remembered what he had done, the way he had gripped her so tightly and shook her. He could not get her sweet face, eyes filled with tears out of his head. He had not meant to hurt her, he loved his daughter. Now he could not even approach her, his father made it clear that things would not be pleasant if he did. Even if Aemma was not his anymore, he still needed to know who she would be wed to. He had a right to know who would be in his daughter's life. He turned to Otto once more.

"I want to know who the man wedding Aemma is." Otto frowned and Viserys realized his mistake. He was asking the man to find out about his previous wife when he was supposed to be marrying Otto's daughter. "I need to know who would be around my daughter, we need to make sure he will be suitable until such time I can have Rhaenyra with me."

"Of course, my prince." Otto gave him a small nod before handing him the marriage contract he had brought with him. "I will investigate the situation immediately and let you know."

Viserys looked at the contract but did not bother to read it. He did not want to wed Alicent or anyone else for that matter, he wanted to be with Aemma, she was the woman he loved. But Otto was right, kings thought about the greater good not their own. He had to be a good king for his people and Otto would be able to help him. His marriage to Alicent Hightower would be beneficial for the crown and that was all that mattered.

********************************************************************************************************************************************

She was still afraid that Viserys would send guards to take their daughter again. She had barely been able to sleep the night before, and in the end, she had given up on it and went to her daughter's nursery. She had spent the rest of her night with her child, watching her sleep. Rhaenyra was unaware of what had happened and Aemma did not want to imagine how her daughter would react to two strange men entering her nursery and taking her away. She had never been more thankful to see Baelon in her life, her uncle had been her and daughter's savior.