Ski trip (1)

Every year mine and the triplets families go on a nice ski trip. Its usually around December and we rent a huge lodge and spend a week there. Its great and we always spend all day in the snow and then make s'mores when we get back.

This year i just turned 18 and the triplets are 20. My older brother is 20 too and the triplets older brother just turned 25. But even though were all older we still love the trip. We drop everything even if it is just for a week.

Me and my parents are packing the night before the drive up day. And my brother is running late for dinner. My mom said to be here at 6 and we would eat and get to sleep early since we have to be out the house by 7am.

" where the hell is your brother." My mom asks me, im scrolling on my phone tucking into a sleeve of crackers. " he's 10 minutes away." I say. " have you packed? And put those away, dinner will be soon!" She scolds me and turns to her vanity to pack her jewellery. " its all done, i have everything." I say. " well ill check later on." She says and finishes up packing. I roll off her bed and follow her downstairs to the dining room.

I pick up a handful of silverware and set the table. " add another setting, matts eating with us. He's staying over." My mom calls from the kitchen. The food smells so good yet my stomach has just been knocked sick. Matt. Is staying over?

" what? Why?" I ask. I try to sound casual but i know its a lost cause. We had a thing last year but it only lasted the summer. But we ended on okay terms i just still feel funny around him. I still get those damn butterflies in my stomach like when we first got together. I can stay calm!

The front door swings open and the boys drop their suitcases at the front door. They brush the snow off their faces and hang up their coats.

Im laid on the sofa cuddling our cat, mimi. The old lady next door is looking after her, they have a weirdly close connection. " just in time for dinner. Come in, how are you matt honey?" My mom asks, putting the tray of enchiladas on the table. I cringe when she calls him honey because all i think of is when he used to call me honey ironically.

I pull an awkward smile and of course the only seat left is next to matt. The table turns quiet and as soon as i ask for water everyone reaches for the jug. I take it off my dad and Nathan clears his throat.

" so, exited for the trip." My dad asks. " oh yeah, i havent skied in ages." Matt answers, scooping food into his mouth.

After dinner my brother helps my mom wash up and i head up to my room. I change into my pyjamas and then cuddle with mimi. I put in my AirPods and head to the bathroom to brush my teeth. I grab my toothbrush and start to brush my teeth when a startled matt pulls back the curtain and yells.

" GET OUT!" I yell. He clamps the towel around his waist and i sigh. " im just brushing my teeth." I say, he rolls his eyes and grabs his tooth brush. I try to rush and get out of there but keep staring glances at him. I wipe my mouth and leave the bathroom.

I lay in bed under the covers with mimi. I try to fall to sleep but im finding it difficult to sleep knowing that matt is just in the next room. Somehow i manage to sleep and get a decent amount, my mom has made eggs and toast. She has glasses of orange juice poured and i sit and drench my eggs in ketchup. " ew, ruined those eggs." My brother screws his nose and i flip him off.

" quickly get dressed, were leaving in 20." My mom says. I jump up and put my plate in the sink. I head upstairs and put on my sweats and a hoodie. I plait my hair in double dutch braids. I bring down my bag with stuff for the car.

When i get downstairs the car is packed and my brother and matt are on the sofa watching the last of their program. Mimis already with our neighbour, the house feels empty. In a good way. I get in the car and claim the back seat. Matt and my brother Nathan get in the row in-front of me and were pulling out the driveway.

I put on my headphones and get out my book, im reading better than the movies at the moment and the town flashes past me in a white blur. Snow falls around us and i people watch for a little bit. A little girl is tugging her mom along the snowy pavement, the mother dragging a sled behind her.

An old couple are sat on a bench drinking coffee from their own flasks. Its beautiful. The lodge is like something out of a christmas card and theres already a car in the driveway.

I sling my tote bag over my shoulder and wheel my suitcase in. Nick and Chris are walking around with huge smiles on their faces and as soon as i see then i open my arms. "This is amazing!" I exclaim.

" everyones in the same room. And we could go skiing." Mary lou announces. The house is split into two parts. Upstairs theres 4 bedrooms. My brother and Chris share one and then Nick and Justin share. Mine and matts are downstairs. Next to the laundry room. I got my own because im a girl and then matt won rock paper scissors. It used to be fun to sneak in and out but now its plain awkward.

Last year:

My phone buzzes and i flip the screen so i can check whos messaged me. Its matt. " are you still awake." It reads. I send a yes and soon my door creaks open. He's in a hoodie and loose pyjama pants. Im in my pyjamas and i lift the covers and he pulls me close to him.

" you smell so good." I say. He smiles and pushes his lips further into my neck. I smile and start to giggle. " shhh, my mom will kill me if she finds out." He scolds me and i laugh but clamp my mouth with my hand.

" your so warm, i dont want to go back." He whines. " just sneak back early? No one will check." I say. He mulls it over in his head and nods. He pulls me close and i kiss his lips. " Mmmh." He groans and then drapes his arm over my waist and i fall asleep in his arms.

He made it back early enough the next morning that when my mom checked on my i had no clue he'd even left. My heart thumped in my chest and i sighed when she smiled and just left without a word.

Now:

After being on the slopes all afternoon were enjoying the warm fireplace and were watching the tv while enjoying Greasy pizza.

" im going to call it a night." Matt says. His eyes are thin like cuts and he rubs his face turning his skin blotchy and red. " okay honey, sleep well." Mary Lou says, by 11 I've woken up on the sofa. I sit up abruptly and no one else is around apart from matt drinking water in the kitchen.

His eyes burn into mine. " pick up your jaw, asshole." I say. He flushes red and watches me walk to my bedroom. Why was he staring at me like that? And why did i like it.