Strengthening Syllabes

You quickly teleported through your evening routine, climbing into your bed as if it could solve any problems you had. First, TK almost suffocating you with this gaslighting, second, Peter's unwanted call, whish you couldn't refuse, and third your landlord talking you into oblivion about responsibility and self-care.

Well, you were done, like, really done NOW. Your greatest best friend, lover, therapist and lifesaver today is your pillow, engulfing you in it's soft embrace. Well, your blanket would be that all too, but let's get not into detail about that. 

Sadly, your overworked brain didn't allow your also exhausted body to get some much needed dreaming time. It demanded you to remain in reality, rather than drifting to dream land. You tried everything.

Tea, water, counting sheep, counting the stars outside your window, but nothing helped. Your phone beeped a few times, but you ignored, not wanting another unwanted conversation. But after the eight times of denying the number you finally picked up the damn thing. 

"What?" You rudedly scoffed into the electronic device. 

"Darling?" You spit out an invisible graft in your thorat.

"P-Peter? Why do you call me at this time, I thought you'd let me sleep?" You sounded a bit offended but it was a matter of fact and your lack of getting sleep.

"I just wanted to hear you voice, I coudln't sleep," he admitted with a hint of nervousness.

"I'm sorry for disturbing you, yet again, darling, I- I'm just gonna hang up..." You wanted to say it too, but the beeping tone was already there. 

Strange, Peter never would throw away an opportunity to speak with you, was he alright or was he just guilt-tripping you, but heart told you, there was more.

You dialed the number, each tape leaving your more worried. You held the phone in both of your hands.

*ring*

Please pick up. 

*ring* *ring*

Peter, I swear, if you don't-.

*ring* *ring* *ring*

PICK THE FUCK UP PETER.

"Hell... *sniff* Hello" A scared timid voice said on the other end of the line

"P-Peter? Are? Are you crying?" Your worry grew stronger, the more you awaited an answer.

"N- Never...  I could never cry when I hear the voice of my only-one," he almost mused the words.

You shook your head, not knowing what was going on. "Are you alright? You don't sound like usual?"

"Darling... When you worry so much about me, it does several things to me." Peter paused, before explaining further. "You worry so much about me, you care for me, you don't know how much this means to me. My heart flutters at the sound of your voice, which only belongs to me, only me. Suddenly the tone in his voice grew more concernt, sad and hopeless. "But I am not so sure, how to feel that you can't get enough sleep because of me. You need it darling, I cannot sleep either, when this tought occurs to me, it haunts me like the mosquito in this room, I can't catch but want to." The explanation ended with another hiccup from him.

"Peter... Why do you sound so hopeless? Why do you think you're responsible for every negative thing that's happening to me?"

A sharp inhale, followed by multiple "I don't know's",  "It's my duty" and unrecognizeable syllabes later you still didn't get a straight answer. 

"Peter... ," you stopped him with a brush of fresh air against the speaker. 

"You must focus on yourself! Only then, can you be my, I mean, someone's knight in shining armor," you said out loud, hoping he didn't hear that he could be your knight.

"It's so cold here darling, without you, without anybody to properly talk to. The white walls remind me of that. Sometimes, when the cleaning lady let's the walls and floor dry, I can see myself, the man who is supposed to be by your side, not here in this torture facility. I don't even know if you'll come back to me. You promised, but I'm not so sure anymore. Do I scare you? Does the sight of me, remind you of the monster that haunts your dreams? Am I the reason you can't live your life anymore properly? Last time you were here,  I could see the fright in your beautiful eyes. You weren't looking at me, you were, but you were looking right through me, trying to ignore the presence of disgust in the room."

You didn't dare to say a word, knowing everything you would say, would turn out wrong.

"And, yet?" He waited for a moment to find the right words.

"I can't get the feeling off of me, that you maybe, just a tiny atom part of your whole self, truly loves me, for who I am. That little part of you, I want it to grow and prosper with me. To unfold it's love for me, that someday in the future we will be together, in a cozy little hut in the mountains, surrounded by nothing but nature, Rat playing with you in the garden, while I work, doesn't that sound lovley, my dearest?"

You wanted to say anything but his soap-opera romanticly confession and the brutal honest confession before made you speechless.

"You don't have to say anything, I know what you're thinking. I also wanted to thank you for taking care of Rat. That little rascal has the luck of being with you, I envy her right now." Peter chuckled a little sad/happy. You shook the feeling away, letting Peter change the topic.

"Yeah, she is really lovely, surprised she didn't bite me... yet," you added and smiled to yourself a bit. 

"She is gentle scared Y/n, she has a sensor for good and bad people, I always knew she would like you," the man lulled star-strucked into the phone.

"She- She really doesn't give you any trouble, does she?" He suddenly sounded very apprehensive about your answer.

"Nonononon, she has been nothing but a sweetheart, don't worry," you reassured the shaking leaf on the other side.

"I'm glad to hear that, it would be more than a surprise if she caused any ruckus, but, you know, you never knew, do you?"

You looked at the snake on the other side of the room, hissing gently in her new home. 

"Yes, I know, what you mean," you muttered to yourself, a warm feeling spreading through your core to every part of your body.

"Well, I must hang up now, have an early shift tomorrow, goodnight Peter," you yawned into the phone, stretching your limbs for the last time today.

"Goodnight, darling, sleep well and have a wonderful morning tomorrow," he whispered into the phone, but your were already deadpanned and knocked out in sleep mode.

....

....

Peter didn't hung up, enjoying the gently rising of your little snores. But he didn't wanna interrupt you anymore.

"I love you... I love you so much... I love you, darling..."

*beep* *beep* *beep*