CHAPTER 50

Izuku puts up a good fight, but this wasn't when he was fighting his life facing the Nomu back in USJ or his battle with Katsuki or even Miyuki, this was a simple spar between the mentor and her student but even with Rumi clearly holding back on him, he doesn’t stand a chance if he put more power into it. Feinting by using the fare images and weaving around her. Feeling the bruises but he didn't care since he was used to it. A sudden boost of concentrated force of wind around his legs and he shot at the momentary gaps in Rumi’s defenses. But Rumi was far more better with her body and has a decade of professional experience on him, and it shows. She pins him something like eight times throughout the fight. He escapes through a shield of wind that pushed the Rabbit hero back each time, but he's never able to restrict her movements himself if he used one of his powers. And even if he does that, he was sure it won't be enough. Not when she doesn’t pull her punches. Or kicks, as the case may be.

By the end of the match, Izuku was on his hands and knees, panting hard. Rumi’s also fairly worn out. But given that between the two of them she isn’t the one who doesn't care about their bruises, she’s clearly in better shape. Which was fair, considering that Izuku only managed to land a few good hits.

“Damn, kit,” she says. “I’m starting to see why they called ya The Ferocious Beast of UA" She pauses to catch her breath. “In raw power alone, you’re probably a match for a top 500 Hero. And your skill is improving rapidly. Good job, kit.”

“Thanks, Rumi,” Izuku says between pants with a smile.

“Can you guess what I’m gonna say next?” says Rumi with a smirk. Izuku rolls his eyes as he shifts to a sitting position.

“You want me to repeat something?”

“Got it in one. Say, ‘Rumi thinks I’m as good as a Top 500 Pro Hero.’”

“Rumi thinks I’m as good as a Top 500 Pro Hero,” Izuku says. Rumi walks over and ruffles his hair again.

“Good kit. Now, we’re gonna eat, take a little break, and go out on patrol.”

“Patrol?” Izuku cocks his head.

“Yeah?” says Rumi. “This is your work-place experience. You aren’t gonna learn much about actual Heroics from fighting me all damn week.”

“Okay,” Izuku says. “What’s for dinner?” Rumi’s grin widens.

“Steak on rice with sweet carrots,” she says. At Izuku’s incredulous look, she snorts. “What? Love me some fucking carrots.” Izuku snickers, then breaks out into full laughter.

“You really are a bunny, Rumi!”

“And fucking proud of it!” she says, holding out a fist to Izuku. He smiles softly.

“And fucking proud of it.” He bumps his fist against hers.

“Though I gotta admit,” Rumi says as she walks away.