CHAPTER 61

Togata Mirio wipes his palms against each other, beaming with pride. It’s been a bit of a hassle to move in to the new dorms on UA’s campus, but nothing he can’t manage with a little elbow grease. It’s the first day that the dorms are open for use, and Mirio doesn’t want to waste any time. Especially thanks to his Work Study. Since those work more like being a sidekick than living out of a Hero’s Agency, he has a little more freedom with his schedule. Sir Nighteye was more than understanding of his desire to get moving in over with. The Underclassman though, they’ll probably have to wait until tomorrow to start moving in, since they’re all still wherever in Japan they are.

He's not the only one. Most of the Third Years have already moved in too, or at the very least are in the process of it.

“Oh, Mirio!” A third year student who was named Nejire calls, landing besides him. “Are you all moved in yet? I finished up an hour ago! I went for a fly around campus to get some more practice in! Ooh, do you think Tamaki’s done yet? Are you gonna visit him?”

Mirio laughs good naturedly at his friend’s usual antics. “Yup! I just finished! Don’t know about Tamaki, though.”

“Oh, I hope he’s alright!” Nejire says, swirling a piece of her knee-length hair. “He’s always so scared in class!” She puts a finger to her chin. “But then again he’s just moving in and there’s no one around to judge him, so maybe he’s okay?”

“Unless he’s started one of his spirals,” Mirio says.

“Ooh, yeah, that would be a problem,” says Nejire. “Let’s go make sure he didn’t lock himself in his room or something.” Suddenly, Nejire perks up again. “Oh! Mr. Snipe! What’s up? Do you need something? Was my accuracy bad in our last practical? Because I thought I was getting pretty good, especially during the Sports Festival! Do—”

“Nah, nothin’ like that,” an approaching Snipe says, adjusting his large cowboy hat. “I’m just checkin’ in on all y'all movin’ in. And besides, got a message for Togata here.”

“Me?” Mirio says pointing to himself. “Did I do something wrong?”

“I don’t rightly know,” says Snipe. “I don’t reckon you did anything, but I’m just here to tell you that another one of the teachers wants to have a chat in his office. Mr. Yagi, teaches the First Years.”

Mirio nods, turning to Nejire. “Say ‘Hi’ to Tamaki for me, will you?” he says. Nejire nods fast enough that Mirio would be a little worried that she’ll hurt herself if he hadn’t seen her do this sort of thing all the time. Back to Snipe, he says, “Mr. Yagi, First Year teacher, right?” Snipe nods in confirmation, and Mirio jogs off to the main building with a wave.

Mirio remembers well the wing of the Heroics building dedicated to the First-Year teachers’ offices. He was in there a lot as a First Year. It comes with the territory of having a Quirk that’s very difficult to use. Quirk accidents, poor grades on practicals, on finals—yeah, Mirio’s been here a lot.

Yagi’s office is not one that Mirio recognizes, so he assumes it must be a new office. Mirio raps his knuckles against the door.

“Ah, come in!” says a voice within. Mirio smiles and opens the door. Immediately, he realizes his earlier assumption is correct. Mr. Yagi’s office is not what any sane person would call ‘tidy.’ Not in the sense that the office space is messy or disorganized, but in that it’s clear Mr. Yagi has not finished readying the office for use. Boxes full of papers and office supplies line the walls and much of the desk.