CHAPTER 56

Iida.

Izuku growled as he takes a step forward. His leg nearly gives out under him. Iida screams again as Stain pulls the sword out.

Izuku’s heartbeat crescendos to a fever pitch.

He gasps for air. He can feel himself breathing, but it’s like there’s no air in his lungs.

Something deep within Izuku pulls taut. He lets it.

“Get away from him,” Izuku growls. His voice sounds strange to his own ears, but he doesn’t worry about that. He doesn’t worry about how his body feels too tight. Izuku fails to catch his muscles expanding. Power surges through his veins. He doesn’t feel that his teeth grew fangs as his eyes briend a brilliant red as he felt that his wind element was not active but he didn't care as he felt that same sensation burning even more...and the voice of the being whispering in his ear.

Blood roars in his ears. His heart beats like thunder. His nerves are on fire.

“Oh?” the Hero Killer says. Izuku ignores him.

“Mi—Midoriya?!” says Iida. Izuku ignores him, too.

Izuku lowers himself into a stance like Rumi taught him. He flexes his hands, not registering as his nails on his suit grew inot longer claws. His balance shifts a bit but Izuku instinctively adjusts his posture accordingly.

“Midoriya,” says Endeavor sharply. “Don’t let Stain consume your—”

Izuku rushes forward, leaving a small crater where he’d been standing. Stain barely has the time to widen his eyes in surprise before Izuku slams a kick into his chest and sends the Villain hurtling down the alleyway, bouncing against the ground. Izuku unhinges his jaw and steam escapes his throat.

And from where he rolls to a stop, Stain laughs.

“I thought you were here for the wounded?” says the Hero Killer.

“I am,” Izuku says, paying no mind to the gravely edge his voice has taken. “But I can’t save anyone once you’ve killed them. You shouldn’t have gotten in my way.”

“What a fascinating loophole you’ve created,” laughs Stain. “But I will judge you all the same!”

“This is my fight, Midoriya!” says Iida.

“Damn it, kid!” Native cries. “Get the hell out of here!”

“Not without you three,” Izuku says.

“That’s not a bad line,” says Stain. He draws a second long blade and drags both along the ground, clicking up sparks every few seconds. “But can you back it up?”

Stain charges forward. And obvious feint. Izuku moves as though he intends on intercepting. When Stain darts around his defense, Izuku pivots. He narrows his eyes at the Hero Killer with a snarl and the Villain falters. In that moment, Izuku backhands one of Stain’s swords. The blade snaps, flying off down the alley where it clatters against the pavement. Stain hops backwards a few steps.