WHAT IF

A beautiful Friday morning, summer of 1975
Tempted to call in and go fishin
Anxious to use my new meps spinner
So I did

My buddy Dave, a finish carpenter, was working alone at a rural property that had a bass pond a couple hundred yards from the house

He invited me out to go fishing anytime he was working there
So I showed up about 10:00 with a couple of six-packs of Busch beer and a pack of Winston's for him

He was staying there all weekend while the owners were in Kansas City

Dave was on a ladder in the kitchen working on the ceiling
I left him a six-pack, and his smokes Grabbed 2 poles, my tackle box, a six-pack from my van and headed to the pond. Just as I was reaching the dam, I noticed 8 dogs running along the shore. Pitbulls, shepherds, mongrels big and small. I started to realize what was up, they started to circle me!

HOLY SHIT!

I dropped the beer and tackle box and started back to the house slowly. I moved spinning around and around with both poles outward? Swinging and whipping at the pack. They were closing in intent on my demise.

Over the hill a tractor or truck started up. It was loud and distracted them. So, I took advantage of that and flew toward the house. Finally in, ready to tell the story to Dave, when to my shock he was on the kitchen floor in agony with a nail through his boot. He had slipped, stepped on a nail that was in some ceiling trim in a pile of boards.

"Bill! Thank God! Please help me!"

The phone had not been installed yet. No cellphones in 1975. Dave was completely impaled on an 8 foot board.

I did what I had to do to get him into my van and to the hospital. It was 10 miles back to town.

Disaster averted.

Later, the 'what if's' entered our conversation as we reviewed the day.

What if I didn't call in to work?

What if no dogs chased me?

What if Dave had to lay there until Sunday night when the Johnson's came home

What if the kitchen was stained by a dead man?

Who knows. Answers now left as if they were acceptable collateral damage.

It seems that I only show up to save him because I never fished or opened a beer!