The Doctor Gets Schooled

Younger people may not be familiar with some of the important people of the 50's and 60's.

One particular example is Dr. Benjamin Spock, the renowned pediatrician, psychoanalyst, political activist, author, and the People's Party candidate for president of the United States.

An important man in May of 1972.

At that time, my friend Lee was attending the University of Kansas in Lawrence, Kansas.

He was asked to pick up Dr. Spock at the airport.

On Tuesday, May 9, 1972, Dr. Spock was scheduled to lecture at KU.

Lee said this guy was a persuasive, alpha male with a strong personality, who was used to getting his way.

"I've never met a real American Indian." the doctor stated.

He then said, "Let's find a bar. We could use a drink couldn't we? Let's find an Indian bar here in north Lawrence."

Lee said "I only know of one Indian bar in North Lawrence. So here we go. This will be interesting! A psychoanalyst in an Indian bar. What could go wrong? Right?".

Lee and Dr. Spock sat at the bar next to an Indian who probably was a regular customer.

He was polite and just as curious as the good doctor.

Lee began the conversation with introductions, "I am Lee and this is the famous Dr. Spock.".

This gentleman said that his name was Vincent.

We bought a round for the house and all was well.

Suddenly, Vincent's face looked puzzled.

He slowly got closer to the doctor's face, staring at him, and eyeing him up and down.

Lee was starting to get nervous.

What the hell is this?

Vincent's face then smiled.

He snickered and asked, "Hey Spock, where are your big ears?".

Everyone in the bar exploded into laughter.

Lee turned to the doctor and said, "He got ya Doc!".

Still laughing the doctor said, "Yeah, he did and it seems that Native Americans have a great sense of humor, if they like you that is.".

That day, Dr. Spock got the experience he wanted and learned a lot about Native Americans.