What Has Happened To Adventure?

The motto of the State of Kansas is "To The Stars Through Difficulty". This was written in the 1800's as a hope for the future. Now, it appears to be more like a prophecy. Or, maybe, an uncomfortable bus ride to Hollywood. Lately though, it's a tiny little airplane seat with too expensive of a ticket without any food.

Travel to me now can be more work than vacation. Airports overcrowded with rude people, long waits, long lines, miserable safety policies, profit measures that replace any joy of adventure. They ruin everything.

Travel has joined the dreaded events list. Dentists office, most Doctor visits, all hospitals, any funeral. And recently big family reunions in too small of a town with one restaurant open, for 50 city people realizing every year why they moved in the first place. Just to see the same old people isn't worth it. And their kids don't even remember me.

So, to the stars through difficulty is correct except for the stars part. Anywhere I go it seems new difficulties await me. Except in my livingroom watching the Travel Channel with my wife. With my shoes off, better food, cheaper snacks. I'm really not too old to travel, I just don't care for what has been added to a venture.

Adventure? Overrated.

The liquor store still carries my brand and has not been destroyed by improvement.