Mutual Attraction : Part 7

Just on the edge of the village, Rotxo approaches, still carrying Tuktirey. As he got closer and closer to home, he found himself going slower and slower. Now, his steps are labored, feeling like his legs weigh a ton each. His breathing is heavy and erratic, and his vision blurs every now and then, but it doesn't stop him.

Once they enter, others around them stare in bewilderment at the sight of them. A warrior runs to retrieve help as he continues to pull himself through the sand, trying to make it to the infirmary.

A short moment later, Jake comes out of the dens and onto the beach towards them. Rotxo is barely moving, but refuses to stop trying.

Jake walks up to him, brows furrowed in disbelief, wondering how the boy is still standing. He's covered to the brim in bloody gashes and cuts. His arms, legs, tail, back, even a bit on his head. Yet there he stands, holding little Tuktirey in his arms, trying to get her help, rather than himself.

He momentarily looks back at the bloody trail Rotxo has behind him, then sighs. He leans down and takes Tuktirey from his arms. She had fallen asleep. It seems Rotxo was barely aware of his presence before he did so.

He quickly hands the girl to the warrior next to him, telling him to take her to Ronal, then faces Rotxo again, shaking his head at the sight once more.

Neteyam's Ikran lands on the shore, and Aonung and Tsireya's Ilu bring them close before they hop off with Kiri and Lo'ak, running to where they see Rotxo and Jake. But just as they approach, Jake can tell that even though the boy is still standing, he's no longer conscious.

He carefully lifts his limp body into his arms and carries him right to Ronal in the infirmary. The others trail behind him, while Neteyam heads off in another direction. When Ronal looks at the sight, she can hardly believe her eyes. Lo'ak watches in a bit of fear. He knows what they're wondering, but hopes they won't ask.

As she quickly looks over Rotxo, beginning to clean his cuts, she gestures for Tsireya to grab her tools. The girl does as asked then steps out of the way until her assistance is needed again.

Tuktirey comes from the side to see Rotxo, gasping at the sight, then stepping back to give Ronal space.

Ronal- What happened?

Kiri- We were on the mountain, and there was a landslide.

Ronal- The mountain?

She takes in the horrid sight once again.

Ronal- This . . . This is madness.

She looks up at Jake.

Ronal- No one, however strong, should have been able to make it that far with these wounds. Pain should have stopped him. Look at this, his leg is torn open.

Ronal looks at the teens in front of her, hoping one of them has an answer, but they look just as confused as she does. All except for one, who keeps averting his eyes.

Ronal- Lo'ak.