An Array of Feelings : Part 6

Rotxo momentarily freezes, and Tuktirey watches from behind him with worry, but is distracted by a shadow going by in the water.

Rotxo- What, do you like him or some shit?

Lo'ak- No, I-

Rotxo- Really? 'Cause it kinda seems like you do.

Lo'ak- I don't, okay?

Tuktirey- Uh, guys-

Rotxo- Yeah, you better not.

He catches a hint of something in those words.

Lo'ak- The hell is your problem?

Tuktirey- Hey-

Rotxo- Oh now I'm the one with a problem?!

Lo'ak- Yeah!

Before Rotxo can respond to Lo'ak, Tuktirey shakes him frantically while eyeing the ocean.

Tuktirey- Rotxo! Rotxo!

Rotxo- What is it, kid?!

Her breath quickens, and she speaks softly.

Tuktirey- T-There's something beneath us. Something big.

Everyone immediately goes on alert, scanning the waters around them. The Omatikaya kids' tails stand on edge. Held stiffly as they anticipate danger.

Aonung- I don't see anything, but let's head home slowly, just to be safe.

Just as they each turn to go the direction home, a huge creature rises out of the ocean behind them. Rotxo and Tuktirey turn around and watch the creature continue to rise slowly, taking it all in with wide eyes. The young girl petrifies at the sight of it. An Akula.

Kiri screams Tuktirey's name as the creature suddenly falls right above them. Rotxo quickly grabs her from behind him, placing her in his lap as his Ilu dives. But the impact of the creature crashing against the water blows them off the Ilu.

Immediately, Lo'ak is seen coming towards them on his Ilu. Rotxo is quick to push Tuktirey towards him. He grabs onto her and swims away while Tsireya comes for Rotxo. He swims towards her but the Akula crosses him and he immediately backs up to escape its bite, but notices something that strikes something in him.

There's half a spear stuck in its side. Still there from the last time it attacked him. The day Rotxo's parents were killed by it, and his father's spear was left in its side hoping it would eventually kill the thing. They were wrong. It's still very much alive, and it's back for him, the last of that little family it wanted to devour.