An Array of Feelings : Part 14

He walks onto the beach, towards where Neteyam stands as his Ikran flies around the island. They both take a moment to calm their breathing, letting the adrenaline die down.

As he finally reaches him, he stands with a small smile, chuckling a bit. But when Neteyam looks at him, the mood shifts. Suddenly he's shoved backwards.

Neteyam- Why the fuck did you follow me?

Aonung stands flabbergasted.

Aonung- What?

He's shoved back again.

Neteyam- Why the fuck did you follow me?!

Aonung- You told me to.

Neteyam- So you always just do what you're told, huh? Is that why you pretend to give a shit about me? Because you have to?

Aonung- I told you I'm not preten-

Neteyam- Hit me.

Aonung- What?

He slaps him in the face and steps closer.

Neteyam- Fucking hit me back!

Aonung- Why do you want me to hit you so bad?! We just had fun-

He tackles him to the ground, the impact pulling on the new stitches in his neck.

Neteyam- You don't get to do this! Hit me!

Aonung- Do what?!

He's so utterly confused right now, he isn't sure if Neteyam will ever make sense to him. Ever.

Neteyam- You don't get to make me feel like that then turn!

Aonung- Turn? You're the one that- . . . You . . .

He gently pulls Neteyam's hand from his head so he can lean up. Neteyam jolts his arm back wearily.

Aonung- You were afraid I'd turn after having fun together-

Neteyam- I'm not afraid of you.

It suddenly starts to make sense to him.

Aonung- So you turned on me first.

Neteyam pushes him back down and stands, walking away from him. But Aonung quickly grabs his wrist, standing as well. The boy hisses at him, making him let go.

Aonung- Neteyam, you don't have to worry, I'm not gonna turn.

Neteyam- How do I know you aren't lying?

Aonung- All I've been trying to do is befriend you, if I'm finally making progress, why would I throw that away?

Neteyam- Maybe 'cause you're just twisted.

He chuckles at the ridiculous thought.

Aonung- I'm not, but if you're concerned about that being a lie then I guess you'll just have to trust me.

Neteyam- Why would I trust you?

Aonung- Because I trust you.

Neteyam- . . . I don't believe that.

Aonung- I just followed you to I don't even know where, trusting that it wasn't to lure me out and kill me. So, I do trust you, a heck of a lot it seems.

His expression softens a bit, and he looks around before responding.

Neteyam- You sure you trust me?

Aonung- (nods)

Neteyam- And, you're sure you won't decide to hate me later?

Aonung- I'm certain. I promise I'll never turn on you.

He takes in a small breath, then exhales with relief, allowing a small smile to appear as he looks up at the sky.

Neteyam- Then . . .

He looks Aonung directly in the eyes, his small smile widening, showing a bit of his teeth.

Neteyam- I'll trust you.

Aonung finally relaxes with a sigh, then chuckles a bit. Neteyam shifts a bit awkwardly, but his little smile remains.

Aonung- Guess this means we're friends now. Not bad, right?

Neteyam's ears perk up, and his tail begins to sway back and forth.

Neteyam- Yeah, you're pretty fun.