Brotherhood : Part 8

Neteyam snickers, and Aonung feels bad about teasing him so much so he decides to make peace. He places a hand on his head, rubbing it a bit as he walks towards the water.

Aonung- We're sorry, Lo'ak.

Neteyam shakes his head as he follows Aonung.

Neteyam- Speak for yourself.

Lo'ak follows behind them, feeling calmer just from the pat on the head.

Lo'ak- I forgive you, Aonung. Neteyam can go fall off an Ikran.

Neteyam- I would never.

Lo'ak- Fall off an Ilu then.

He smirks at his older brother, knowing he's fallen off his Ilu multiple times.

Neteyam- Fuck you.

Lo'ak giggles, feeling really happy in that moment for some reason. As they go deeper into the water, Aonung turns and looks between the two.

Aonung- Okay, what happened?

Lo'ak looks at Neteyam, wondering if he's even allowed to answer.

Neteyam- We came to an understanding.

He climbs onto his Ilu, making the bond. Aonung hums in response, but Lo'ak thinks on his answer. "Came to an understanding." If they came to an understanding, then surely he'd allow him to understand something he's been wondering about deeply.

Nervously, he goes up to Neteyam's side, looking up at him. Aonung watches in silence from Neteyam's other side.

Neteyam- Why are you looking at me like you want something?

Lo'ak- I want to know something.

Neteyam glances at Aonung, who nods at him.

Neteyam- Fine. What is it?

Lo'ak- I don't completely understand why you did, but lashing out at me and Kiri, that's fine or whatever. But, why Tuk? She's just a kid.

His grip on the handle tightens, and his ears lie back. Just as he's about to snarl at Lo'ak, Aonung grabs his arm, but quickly lets go.

Aonung- Neteyam, he just wants to understand you. Let him.

Lo'ak looks from Neteyam's glare, to Aonung who's entirely focused on calming his brother. He knows they're close, though he also doesn't understand how that happened, but he never bothers to ask. He doesn't feel like there's a clear answer.

Neteyam sighs sharply, and looks at Aonung. To Lo'ak, it's like they're having a silent conversation. He only wishes he could have a friend like that. One that knows what he's thinking without him having to put it into words.

One person comes to mind. Not someone he shares a particular bond with, but who has been able to read him much better than anyone else. Much to his disliking. But he knows Rotxo isn't fond of him, so he lets that thought vanish from his mind.

Neteyam faces him, his expression softer, showing he's calm.

Neteyam- We all miss Mother, I know this, but you three weren't close to her like I was.

Lo'ak almost makes a remark. She was just as much their mother as she was his. But he stops himself, remembering he's supposed to be trying to understand what makes his brother feel this way. So he allows him to continue uninterrupted.

Neteyam- I know Tuk can't help that she's a child and needs to be protected, but when I'm missing Mother, all I can think of is how she died because of Tuk.

Lo'ak's brows furrow, struggling to hold in his input.

Neteyam- I don't want to hate her, or blame her, but I just get so angry, and my mind just . . . I start thinking all kinds of things. Irrational things. Like-

Lo'ak- Like last night?

Neteyam nods, and Aonung stands wondering what happened the previous night, but doesn't dare ask. Lo'ak watches as Neteyam's expression saddens by the second, his mind flooding with memories of their mother.

Neteyam- I miss her, more than you understand.

Lo'ak places a hand on his thigh, looking up at him reassuringly.

Lo'ak- Then help me understand.

He averts his gaze, staring down at the handle on the Ilu.

Lo'ak- Come on, bro. I want to help you.

He turns and locks their eyes, feeling conflicted about letting him in on the secret he shared only with their mother.

Neteyam- (sighs) She made me purr.

While Aonung tilts his head to the side in confusion, Lo'ak's eyes widen, everything suddenly making sense to him.

Purring; Something only the Omatikayan Na'vi do. It's only known to them, because of how rare it is. It's the indication of another level of intimacy and trust that doesn't come to just anyone. More often than not, the times it happens is with a parent and child.