Brotherhood : Part 2

Unfortunately, only an hour later, Neteyam wakes up with another scream. Lo'ak jolts awake, and turns to look at him, seeing him stop himself with his hand over his mouth. His chest is heaving as he tries to calm down.

He opens his mouth to say something, but Neteyam looks at him through the corner of his eye and holds his arm down.

Neteyam- Go back to sleep.

Lo'ak- It's kinda hard to sleep when someone keeps screaming. What were yo-

Neteyam- Go to sleep!

He rejects his attempt at kindness once again. Which hardly comes as a surprise to Lo'ak at this point. He gives up, looking at the ceiling, then glancing at his brother a few times. His breathing is far from leveled, but eventually he falls back asleep, and his breaths become ever so calm.

Lo'ak's never seen him or his father wake from nightmares before. Typically, though, he and Tuktirey are the firsts to fall asleep, and he usually sleeps very deeply. But for some reason he can't seem to find that deep slumber tonight. And only another hour later, Neteyam wakes him again.

He decides to ignore it, as Neteyam wants him to, but then he hears sniffles and small gasps. He quickly sits up and sees Neteyam's back facing him as he lies on his side, crying.

It's easy to ignore him when he's being uncooperative and difficult, badmouthing for no reason, but when he cries, Lo'ak feels just the slightest bit of sympathy for him.

Lo'ak- Neteyam?

After a small flinch, startled by his voice, Neteyam turns and looks at him. His eyes overflowing with tears, and such a pitiful expression on his face. He half expected him to glare, but he just looks defeated. It's completely different from the way he was an hour earlier.

Lo'ak- Uh . . .

He called his name without knowing what to say. He thinks quickly; How should he handle this? Well, when Tuktirey would have a bad dream, he'll usually just talk to her until her irrational fear fades and she falls back asleep.

Lo'ak- You know, dreams can seem so scary sometimes.

Neteyam merely blinks, a few tears falling down his face as he continues to give his undivided attention.

Lo'ak- I mean, they seem so real, ya'know?

No response, but he continues to listen.

Lo'ak- But, just like I tell Tuk. In the end, they're just dreams. I don't know why, but sometimes our brains just wanna torture us.

He almost laughs at himself, then sees Neteyam adjust his body on the opposite side to face him comfortably.

Lo'ak- It's almost like we can't even let ourselves know about our own fears. 'Cause no doubt the two-faced thing called imagination will surely use it against us.

He continues to talk, seeing that it's stopped Neteyam's tears from flowing. And after a bit longer of him rambling on, eventually talking about two sea creatures he interrupted while mating that tried to kill him because of it, Neteyam finally falls asleep.

Lo'ak feels a bit accomplished. A good distraction always works. He finds it a bit amusing how the same technique he used on their baby sister works on him. He isn't sure why his brother is suddenly having so many problems in one night, when he's been fine, but he doesn't dwell on it.

With no more thoughts to think, he gets extra comfortable, feeling more relaxed now that he's in a better mood. He falls asleep shortly after.