New Family Dynamic : Part 6

Meanwhile, back at the Sully den, Rotxo sits observing Jake, who has been asleep all day. Tuktirey watches the marine boy, who's been ignoring her since the others left.

Tuktirey- Why won't you talk to me?

Rotxo- Cuz you're an annoying little shit.

Tuktirey- No I'm not!

He rolls his eyes and doesn't say anything back to her.

Tuktirey- You'll talk to everyone else, but not me, because you think I'm immature. I understand what's going on ya'know. I'm not a child.

Rotxo- You are a fuckin' child!

Tuktirey- I'm no-

Rotxo- A child that doesn't even act like one, because she's being a dumbass and blaming herself for all this shit. Tell me I'm wrong.

Tuktirey- . . . You don't understand, this is my-

Rotxo- Oh save me the bull-

Tuktirey- Mom died saving me.

He finally settles down and looks directly at the little girl that's been sitting next to him. Her large watered eyes look back up at him, then she wipes her face as her tears begin to fall.

Tuktirey- Not Neteyam, or Kiri, or Lo'ak, just me. I'm the weak one, and I couldn't keep up like the others during the escape. So she was caught in the explosion when she went back for me and tossed me forward to Neteyam.

He remains silent, relating to her, and remembering when he lost his own parents at a young age. That feeling of guilt he used to have because they were protecting him.

Rotxo- Listen . . .

She looks back up at him, immediately noticing the softer tone and expression as he stares off into space.

Rotxo- Being a kid doesn't mean being immature or ignorant to what's happening around you. It means having the bliss of childish innocence that only happens when you're so young.

He looks down at her calmly.

Rotxo- Looking at it from the other side, the side it doesn't follow you to, it's endearing. And . . .

He hesitates, but she leans in, not breaking eye contact, as encouragement.

Rotxo- I lost that . . . when I was still small. Like you, my parents had to protect me. Needless to say it killed them both.

A light gasp escapes her.

Rotxo- I was never the same after that.

He takes a breath and gives her a serious look.

Rotxo- Trying to be strong by acting like this, it won't work. True strength is being able to go through that and manage to keep that childish nature. It won't just help you, but your family too.

Tuktirey- It will?

Rotxo- It will.

She looks down, thinking on it.

Rotxo- Can I ask you a favor?

She shoots her attention right back to him, curious.

Rotxo- Don't let this situation break you.

Tuktirey- . . . I won't.

She suddenly speaks confidently, her eyes full of determination.

Tuktirey- And I'll help my family, and make them happy again.

He nods, agreeing with her, letting his lips curl just the slightest on the corner.

Tuktirey- You're nicer than I thought.

Rotxo- Shut up you little shit.

She breaks into a fit of giggles, now seeming unphased by his insult.

Rotxo- Oh you think I'm funny now?

Tuktirey- Yes.

He looks at her still giggling and can't help the chuckle that breaks out of his own throat. He playfully ruffles her hair and pushes her away.

Rotxo- Fuck you. I hate kids.

Tuktirey- But not me. We're friends now!

Rotxo- Ah shit, why me?

Tuktirey suddenly hugs him, making him jolt a bit. He hesitates for a moment, but decides to just hug her back and let her be her.

He really, really hates kids, because they soften him, effortlessly so.