Brotherhood : Part 11

Back at the village, Neteyam and Lo'ak return home, with Aonung in tow. As they walk in, Tuktirey greets them happily. She and Kiri remained in the den today, so Tuktirey could show her the weaving techniques Kalín taught her, and also spend some quality time together after avoiding each other because of their little fight.

Kiri would've had Tsireya over, but she was helping her mother out today, in place of Aonung.

When Tuktirey walks up to them, Neteyam ignores her in silence, walking over to relax on his hammock, which makes her sigh. Lo'ak pats her head, cheering her up. They both know he's a working progress. Aonung greets her with his usual charming smile as he walks in.

Lo'ak carefully walks around the mess his sisters made, making sure not to step on any beads, for the sake of his feet.

Kiri- Tuk, get the supplies out of the floor so we can eat.

The small girl immediately starts strategically cleaning up her mess and placing it in a basket.

Lo'ak- Is Kalín cooking dinner?

Kiri- No, I am. We need to stop relying on her to do it.

Lo'ak- But her food is so much better than yours.

She smacks him on the back of the head with a hiss, making Aonung laugh. As she grabs the things she needs to prepare their meal, Lo'ak goes to stand next to Aonung.

Aonung- How rude. Insulting your sister's cooking.

Lo'ak- I was just being honest. If she wants it to taste better then she should practice.

Aonung laughs once more when she shoots him a glare.

Aonung- Good luck surviving the night.

Lo'ak chuckles, then Aonung starts heading for the exit and he instinctively grabs his hand to stop him.

Lo'ak- Where're you going?

Aonung- Home, I'm pretty hungry and ready to eat.

Lo'ak- Then, stay for dinner.

His grip tightens slightly as he looks up at Aonung, wearing a pleading expression. For some reason, looking down at Lo'ak holding onto his hand and practically demanding him not to leave makes his face warm up.

Aonung- Okay.

He takes a step back.

Aonung- I'll just sit over here while I wait, then.

Lo'ak- Okay.

Aonung slowly walks away from him, letting their hands slide gently apart. Kiri watches the moment and squints her eyes at her brother. The marine boy goes and sits near Tuktirey as she continues to organize her things.

Kiri- Lo'ak.

She half whispers his name, earning his attention. She gestures for him to go over to her, and he complies, going to stand next to her as she chops some vegetables.

Lo'ak- What did I do this time?

Kiri- Nothing, just . . .

She glances at the heir talking to their sister, then looks back down at what she's doing.

Kiri- I was joking earlier, about you liking Aonung, but do you actually like him?

He freezes, and when he attempts to come up with something to play this off, his mind fails him. On top of that, his lingering silence works against him. She stops and looks at him with her mouth agape.

Kiri- Oh my gosh. You do.

Lo'ak- No I-

Kiri- Wait till I tell Tsireya.

Lo'ak- Kiri, no.

His whiny voice makes her smirk.

Kiri- You outed me to Dad, I should be telling Aonung.

Lo'ak- No, Kiri, please.

Kiri- Relax. I'm just gonna tell Tsireya, she'll probably think it's cute.

Lo'ak- But-

Kiri- Keep begging me not to, and I'm gonna scream it at the top of my lungs right now.

He quickly backs away from her with a gasp, covering his mouth.

Kiri- That's what I thought. Go sit while I cook.