Mutual Attraction : Part 3

On the clover-filled cliff, Tuktirey rolls around in the wet grasses giggling, until she notices her rolling partner not rolling anymore. She stops and gets up, walking over to Tsireya, who's lost in thought.

She sits next to her, tapping her shoulder, which brings her back.

Tuktirey- What's wrong?

Tsireya- Nothing, I'm alright.

She suddenly gets punched in the shoulder, and winces.

Tsireya- What was that for?

Tuktirey- Lying. Do it again and I'll hit you really hard.

Tsireya- Damn you're violent.

The girl smiles sweetly, making Tsireya shake her head.

Tuktirey- Now, what's wrong?

Tsireya- Well . . . Can you keep a secret?

She nods eagerly.

Tsireya- I really like your sister, okay, but she's into Rotxo.

Tuktirey- Did you tell her?

Tsireya- No.

Tuktirey- Why?

Tsireya chuckles at the young girl, knowing she probably hasn't experienced romantic feelings yet and can't understand why exposing such feelings isn't that easy.

Tsireya- To keep things simple, I'll say it's because I know she likes Rotxo and not me.

Tuktirey- But if you don't tell her, how will she know to like you?

Tsireya- She's not gonna like me just because I like her.

Tuktirey- Aren't you supposed to like someone that likes you too?

Tsireya- Well, you are supposed to date who likes you back, but, just having feelings is different. Sometimes you end up liking someone that doesn't feel the same way.

Tuktirey- Why like someone that doesn't like you back? That seems like a waste of time.

Tsireya- (laughs) Putting it that way makes me feel pretty stupid.

Tuktirey- Kiri is kinda slow.

She stifles a laugh, but fails to hold back another one before regaining her composure.

Tsireya- What makes you say that?

Tuktirey- This isn't the first time she liked the wrong person.

Tsireya- The "wrong" person?

Tuktirey- Someone that doesn't like her back.

Tsireya- Oh. Well, we don't know if Rotxo will like her back or not.

Tuktirey- He won't.

She almost laughs again at the girl's confidence.

Tsireya- What makes you so sure?

Tuktirey- We mate for life, so there's only one special person for each of us. If you already like Kiri, then I don't think she'll get with Rotxo.

Tsireya- But how do you know there isn't someone else for me?

Tuktirey- I don't, but since you and Kiri are already so close, I think you're made for each other.

Tsireya sits in a bit of shock, fully believing the words of a child. How can she not when said child sounds so wise and seems so confident in her words despite having no experience of her own.

Tuktirey- But there is one problem.

Tsireya- What's that?

Tuktirey- If you don't tell her how you feel, then she'll probably never know to feel the same way, and then neither one of you will be happy.

Tsireya's expression drops. That's some way to crush a person's spirit.

Confessing. That's the one thing Tsireya's been avoiding, afraid of what affect it'll have on her beautiful friendship. But if there's even a hint of truth in Tuktirey's words, she might need to consider risking it. She's often described as fearless, yet here she is cowering from her own feelings. Does she really want to lose against herself?