An Array of Feelings : Part 12

As eclipse consumes the sky, and the Olo'eyktan's family turn in, Aonung stirs.

He isn't sure why, but nobody else mentioned Neteyam's heroic act just outside the reef. Perhaps they felt there was no point, since the boy is somewhat of an outcast to his family. To him, though, he's a mystery. One he's determined to solve, even if that means leaving in the middle of the night to go look for him.

The boy has been rejecting his kindness since they arrived, and seems to feel nothing but hate for his siblings, that rage is what left Aonung with his bothersome injury. But despite all that, he saved him and Rotxo. Aonung wonders what he was even doing out there. It doesn't match the eternally distant character that Neteyam seems to be.

He wanders away from the village and into the edge of the forest, looking lost, but actually retracing his steps, and going to the last area Neteyam showed up.

As he arrives, he looks up and around at the tall trees towering over him, but there's no sign of Neteyam. With a sigh, he decides to move to a different area. He turns and takes a step, but is met with bright golden eyes suddenly hanging in front of him, and, upside down.

He takes a step back, seeing the long braids dangling from Neteyam's head as he hangs from a branch. It renders him speechless for a minute, and before he finds his voice again, Neteyam pulls himself up and squats on the branch, looking down at him.

Neteyam- Damn, you just don't give up, do you?

Aonung- Not when it counts.

He takes a relaxed tone, matching the calm attitude Neteyam has at the moment. It's very different from the way he normally is. Less ominous and more approachable.

He hops down, landing next to Aonung. The marine boy turns around, and Neteyam scans every inch of him. Moving around him and inspecting very closely, but not touching. After his full circling inspection, he stands in front of him. His eyes linger on Aonung's neck for a moment.

Aonung- Uh, what're you doing?

Suddenly he's up in the tree again, and stands on a higher branch before squatting.

Neteyam- Here's a question for you, dolphin . . .

Aonung- Dolphin?

He jumps to another tree and stands with a glint of mischief on his face.

Neteyam- How far will you go?

He's shocked. Normally Neteyam would push his entire existence away, but this seems like more of a pull. It excites him, more than he feels like it should. But the excitement is welcome. With a smirk, he gives his answer.

Aonung- As far as you lead me.

In a few swift moves, Neteyam makes his way a few trees over. There he points downward to a slim path in the dense part of the forest that Aonung has never been. Curiously, he walks over to the path, looking into it. It's dark.

As if he was reading his mind, Neteyam lands on the ground facing him, then backs into the darkness of the path. Slowly, the many lights on his body begin to glow, and the further he goes into the darkness, the brighter he glows.

Aonung's eyes beam at the sight. His people don't glow so brightly.

Neteyam- Follow the lights.

With that, he takes off into the dense jungle. Aonung is quick to follow, making sure to keep him in sight. As they run, Neteyam makes his way into the trees, going along branches right over the path. The sight of him hopping through the trees while glowing like that makes him look like dancing orbs. The thought almost makes Aonung laugh, but he focuses on just keeping up, since Neteyam is extremely fast.