An Array of Feelings : Part 3

He walks past her and into the den, which looks like some sort of storage place for materials. She stands at the entrance watching him.

Jake- Either tell me where it goes or I'll pick a spot.

She walks in, acting bold, and reaches for the basket on his shoulder.

Kalín- I said I'll do it myself.

He rolls his eyes and hands it to her. The moment he stops holding it she stumbles backwards. He immediately takes the basket, but the woman falls into a shelf, a few smaller baskets of beads falling onto her.

Jake- Damn you're clumsy.

She removes a basket from her head and begins to pick up the beads on the floor around her.

Kalín- I don't need you to tell me that.

He momentarily feels sorry for her, seeing as it's his fault she fell, he knew she couldn't hold the basket. He sits it aside as she finishes refilling the fallen ones. Feeling somewhat responsible, he holds his hand out to her, and her eyes widen, seemingly shocked.

Hesitantly, she reaches for his hand, taking it and accepting his assistance. She barely has a grip. In a way, she reminds him of women on Earth. Naturally more fragile, but with such a wide gaze, and strong impact.

He's never met a Na'vi woman with such a delicate physique. Sure some look dainty, like Neytiri did, but she was powerful. This woman here, she isn't like that at all.

He pulls her up from the floor, and releases her hand. She gives a quick thanks and turns to lift the other small baskets back onto the shelf. Though she doesn't need help with it, he puts one back as well.

Jake- What's your name?

Kalín- Kalín. And you are?

He gives her a puzzled look. How could she not know him? There are stories about him. Among her people he isn't just some other Na'vi. He is the Jake Sully.

She suddenly giggles, and his puzzled face remains.

Kalín- I jest. How could I not know of the great Jake Sully?

A sense of humor. This, he can work with.

After a short noiseless chuckle, he speaks in a lighter tone than the bored one he subconsciously came to her using.

Jake- Have any skills you're really good at?

Kalín- Uh, cooking, and weaving.

She doesn't sound too proud of it, as if it isn't as impressive as any other skill she could've had. But Jake doesn't need his new friend to be a scary killer. A meek woman with a sense of humor is the subtle approach to regaining a social life that he needs.

Jake- Great. How do you feel about cooking for people?

Kalín- I take pride in it.

Her face lights up a bit, but she makes sure to keep herself composed.

Jake- Think you can make dinner for my kids this evening? My daughter's been handling it but she's always tired after her training, she deserves a break.

Kalín- Of course. Where is your den?

Jake- I'll just come by and get you later.

Kalín- Okay.

He walks off with a wave, which seemed pretty abrupt to her but she doesn't dwell on it.