The Al'Háven Way : Part 11

Within the village, at the Sully den, Lo'ak is lying in his hammock, still feeling like being quiet. Tuktirey is weaving herself a new little basket, and Kiri is teaching Koral how to make an anklet. The two met with Ronal a bit earlier as she was walking through the village looking for Rotxo. They told her of the spirit tree they found, which made the woman's day.

Since then, they've been spending time within the den, despite begging so much to venture out.

Interrupting the relative silence they had, they hear the sound of their father's laughter nearing. Tuktirey immediately jumps up once he walks into the den holding a basket. She tilts her head in curiosity at it, while he stands frozen for a moment, noticing how his children are actually home and not out as he expected them to still be.

Kalí­n comes up next to him, wondering why the man stopped in the entrance, but sees why as each of the kids look at them. Jake sets the basket aside and clears his throat.

Jake- I wasn't expecting you guys back so soon.

Lo'ak- Neither were we. What's with the basket?

Lo'ak leans up, letting his legs hang off the side of his hammock. Jake and his new mate exchange a look, knowing they'll have to explain now, since they've been caught moving her things in. He was planning to explain after he had her settled in, thinking he still had plenty of time to prepare for that talk before they came back.

Kiri stands from her spot, sensing the odd atmosphere.

Kiri- Dad, what's wrong?

Jake- Nothing, just . . .

He reaches for Kalí­n's hand, and takes a breath.

Jake- I was hoping Neteyam would be around when I did this, but. I'd like you all to welcome my mate. We were just moving her things in.

Each of their mouths fall agape, and Koral smiles widely. Tuktirey shrieks in happiness, running up to Kalín and hugging her tightly, making her laugh. Lo'ak hops off of his hammock with a grin.

Lo'ak- No fuckin' way! You actually did it!

He walks up to Jake, wrapping a tight arm around his torso as he hugs him. Jake ruffles his braids up some with a chuckle, then they look to Kiri as she approaches slowly and calmly. Lo'ak steps off to the side, with Tuktirey, and Jake's grip on Kalí­n's hand tightens.

She stops right in front of the two, and looks up at her father.

Kiri- I . . . I'm sorry, for acting the way I did.

His eyes widen a bit, and he looks to Lo'ak, but the boy just shrugs, having no idea what made her have a change of heart.

Kiri- I'm just glad my actions haven't ruined anything. I'm happy for you.

He smiles at her, and brings her into a short hug, before letting her pull back from him and face Kalí­n. She takes a quick breath, then looks the woman in the eyes.

Kiri- You may not be my mother, but despite how I've acted, you do have my respect. One thing mother was never willing to do was slap me in the face to teach me a lesson, so you've definitely earned it.

She chuckles a bit at her own words, making Kalí­n smile softly.

Kiri- That was one hell of a lesson too. You may have thought you'd be tossed aside at some point, but I already knew my father wasn't gonna do that. That's what made me so angry half the time.