Dangerous Attraction : Part 9

With that thought in mind, he takes off. Darting through the crowd and dashing across the beach, his eyes not leaving the Ikran that's now reached the shore.

Jake notices him coming in fast and hops off of the creature, disconnecting their queues.

Jake- Hey, what's with the big crowd? Woah!

Aonung doesn't waste a second, he grabs Jake's arms and starts pulling him back, only speaking between breaths as they run.

Jake- What's goin' on?

Aonung- They're trying to punish Neteyam, you have to stop them!

He doesn't waste time asking any further, he simply speeds up, leaving Aonung behind. It doesn't matter what he's done, Jake never gave anyone permission to discipline his son, and he never would.

He shoves his way through the crowd, yelling at people to move out of his way. Aonung comes later, following through the open path he creates. Kalín hears Jake's voice in the distance and her and Tuktirey begin to navigate their way through to find him.

Jake finally reaches the center, only in time to see Neteyam gain his first slash, making him scream and pull against the ropes that bind him.

In the blink of an eye, Jake tackles the punishing man to the ground, beating into his face senselessly for harming his boy. This frightens most of the villagers, making them stand back in awe. Tonowari's eyes widen, clearly taken aback by the entrance.

He punches the man's bloodied face once more, then rushes over to Neteyam, who was watching him just as wide eyed as everyone else.

He pulls out his knife, cutting the ropes off of Neteyam, then checking his back. He immediately hisses at the sight, which is rare for him. He begins to check every other inch of the boy, the pure shock never leaving Neteyam's face.

The last time Jake was so concerned for him was when he was just a kid, before his siblings came along, forcing adult responsibility onto him. It gives him a feeling he hasn't felt with his father for years. The feeling one has when someone shows them care.

Jake suddenly looks right into his eyes, his large hands lightly gripping his arms. Attempting to get a reaction from him, hoping this didn't affect his mentality.

Jake- Are you alright? You with me?

With his tears already beginning the flood, Neteyam shakes his head. Jake wasn't expecting him to be perfectly fine, but the tears catch him off guard. Neteyam leans forward, burying his face into the crook of Jake's neck. He rubs the boy's head soothingly.

Neteyam- It hurts.

He speaks softly, only allowing his father to hear him.

Jake- I know, it's okay. I've got you.

He gently pulls him up, wiping his face, before standing.

Jake- Wait here.

Jake looks right at Aonung, and gestures to his son. It's clear Aonung's the only one he trusts to guard him, so he rushes to Neteyam's side, kneeling next to him. He doesn't look at him, and his tears still fall, but Aonung doesn't dare touch him, afraid of what sort of reaction he might have.

Surprisingly though, Neteyam gently leans against him, lying his head onto his shoulder. He's glad to see that Neteyam does trust him as he said he would, but he still refrains from touching him. He just lets him rest there comfortably as he waits for Jake to finish his business.