Hidden Battles : Part 8

When Tsireya reaches her den, her head hanging low, Ronal and Aonung look at her with worry as she strolls in. Her brother quickly stands and goes over to her, gently guiding her to sit with them.

Ronal- Tsireya, what is it? What happened?

She looks to Aonung, wanting to reveal what she found out, but she doesn't want to tell him all his efforts were for nothing.

Aonung- What is it?

She grabs his hand gently, holding it between hers as she stares up into his eyes.

Tsireya- Try to stay calm, okay.

Aonung glances at their mother, then nods, anticipating what she'll tell him.

Tsireya- That year after Rotxo's parents died . . . We thought you really helped him, but we were wrong.

Aonung- What do you mean?

Tsireya- That whole time, he spent it blocking out pain.

Their eyes widen, and she continues.

Tsireya- And once he succeeded, that's when he changed.

Aonung blinks in obvious shock.

Ronal- How do you know this?

Tsireya- He told me.

Abruptly, her brother stands, but she holds him back, knowing exactly where he's attempting to go.

Tsireya- Don't. He doesn't want to see us right now.

Aonung- I don't care.

Tsireya- Be calm, brother.

Aonung- How?!

He turns and snaps at her, startling Ronal.

Aonung- You tell me all this time I haven't done anything to help him, and you expect me to stay calm?!

Tsireya- Yes!

Aonung- . . . Let go of me.

Tsireya- No.

Aonung- Why?

Tsireya- Because you'll just go running to him!

Aonung- What's wrong with that?!

Tsireya- You can't help him!

He freezes for a second, then shakes his head a bit, snatching his hand from her. Before she can stop him, he heads for the entrance.

Tsireya- Aonung!

She attempts to stand, but her mother places a hand on her shoulder, stopping her.

Ronal- Just leave him be.

Tsireya- But, mother-

Ronal- You cannot force him to swallow his pride.

Tsireya- But, Rotxo clearly wants space.

Ronal- He knows this, but think of how this makes him feel.

Tsireya- (sighs) I know.

Ronal- Don't worry, he's a well rounded boy. He won't do anything rash.