New Family Dynamic : Part 7

Just as the small girl lets go, about to start up another conversation, Rotxo's name is called in a shrieking tone, drawing their attention to the entrance.

Tsireya- Rotxo!

Tsireya runs into the den with Kiri close behind. She grabs his arm as Kiri pulls her sister aside.

Rotxo- Woah, calm down, what is it?

Tsireya- It's Aonung, he's hurt!

He bolts out the den faster than they ran in, and Tsireya follows quickly behind him.

Kiri and Tuktirey stay behind, worried.

Tuktirey- What happened? How did Aonung get hurt?

Kiri looks down at her, surprised she's being so openly worried after the way she's been all week.

Kiri- (sighs) Neteyam.

Tuktirey- (gasps)

Kiri- I swear, if this family ever gets a moment of happiness, he's gonna take it away.

Lo'ak- I won't let him.

Kiri looks up and sees Lo'ak standing just inside the entrance with his head held low. Some of Aonung's blood is smeared on him from helping the boy into the village.

Kiri- L-Lo'ak . . . You're . . .

He looks up, confused, and unaware of the tears streaming his face.

Kiri- You're crying.

He wipes his cheeks while his sisters watch awed by the sight of obvious emotion showing on him when they hadn't seen such a sight since before what happened in their old home.

Lo'ak- It's nothing. Just, too many things at once.

Kiri- You don't have to hold it in.

Without warning, Tuktirey runs up and gives him a tight hug.

Tuktirey- You can tell us what's wrong.

Lo'ak- Tuk, you're-

Tuktirey- I'm not gonna let this change me.

She looks up at him to meet his eyes, resting her chin on his stomach.

Tuktirey- And you shouldn't either.

He looks up, and Kiri stands right in front of him with a soft smile.

Lo'ak- I . . . I guess, seeing him pass out like that . . . In all the blood . . . I knew he was still alive, but when he fell out of my grip I almost thought he was dead. It was too much like . . .

Kiri- Like what happened to Mom.

With more tears welling up in his eyes, he nods, and she brings him into her arms. It's been a long time since they just held each other like this, so he immediately hugs back, burying his face in her shoulder as she rubs his head soothingly.

That moment silently decides that from now on they will look after each other as they should. Do their best to make things work here, and hope their father will adapt as they've chosen to.

No more fighting because of pent up neglected emotions.

No more violence.

No more anger.

Just peace.