Brotherhood : Part 4

Yet another hour later, and yet another scream and gasp has Lo'ak groaning in frustration as he sits up and looks to his brother. But he isn't in the hammock, he's sitting in a corner looking terrified.

Lo'ak quickly follows his gaze to the entrance, but there's nothing there, so he immediately assumes he's still dreaming. Until he looks directly at him, tears beginning to flow as he hyperventilates.

Neteyam- L-Lo'ak . . . I . . .

His brows furrow as he walks over to Neteyam. He kneels down, placing a hand on his shoulder.

Lo'ak- What? What is it?

Neteyam attempts to speak, but his gasps of short breaths interrupt him. Lo'ak hesitantly places a hand on his chest. Neteyam immediately grabs his wrist, but doesn't pull him off.

Lo'ak- Follow my lead. It's just like breathing exercises.

He takes in a deep breath, and Neteyam attempts to mimic him. After a few long breaths, his breathing finally slows, through the sniffles and light gasps as he continues to cry.

Lo'ak- Neteyam, what's going on?

Neteyam shakes his head, blinking away a few tears.

Lo'ak- Seriously, Neteyam, why are you like this?

Neteyam- . . . They weren't just dreams . . .

His face turns a bit as he attempts to hold back a sob.

Neteyam- They were memories . . . They're real.

As he watches Neteyam try to wipe away tears that keep getting replaced, he slides down to sit next to him, removing his hand from his chest, pulling it gently out of his grasp. He's hesitant, and unsure how this will go, but he wraps an arm around Neteyam and gently pulls him closer, rubbing his head.

The touch seems welcome, and even relieving. Neteyam leans into him, making him feel a mixture of things.

Lo'ak- Is there a reason you're being reminded of these things?

Neteyam is quiet for a moment. Usually it's random, but tonight has been brought upon him by his brother saying he should've rotted in chains earlier. He knows it isn't possible for that to happen now, but the thought alone was enough to affect him. However, he'd rather not bring up the rash words spoken in their argument.

Neteyam- No.

He speaks softly as he begins to calm down.

Neteyam- Sometimes they just haunt me for no reason.

Lo'ak hums in response, awed by the difference in his brother's behavior. If the things in his head bring out such a change, then perhaps he shouldn't add to his problems by giving him a hard time. Though he shakes the idea from his head, suddenly not wanting to let himself really feel for Neteyam.

He tries to tell himself that the only reason he's feeling this way is because his brother is crying and he's the only one here to help. But the more he watches as the boy starts borderline cuddling him, he can't help but feel happy to finally have some healthy sibling interaction.

Neteyam adjusts himself to lie on his shoulder more comfortably.

Neteyam- Sorry for waking you.

He blinks, not believing his ears, or his eyes as Neteyam falls asleep on his shoulder only seconds after speaking to him. Though it isn't necessary anymore, he still strokes his head, occasionally playing with a braid or two, observing how much his peaceful face favors their mother.

He continues fiddling around with his brother's braids a bit, enjoying the feeling it gives him. Then, feeling his tiredness returning to him, he lies his head down gently onto Neteyam's. He wishes he would've been able to have moments like this with his brother all along, and hopes to Eywa that Neteyam doesn't do a drastic turn back to the way he was acting before.

He hates to admit it, even just to himself, but he would feel pretty hurt by it. Even if it's not something the boy can control, he really hopes this changes things between them. He may be the one to pick the most fights, but he's growing sick of their bad relationship. He wants to know what true brotherhood is like.

Rough Elegance [Neteyam x Aonung]On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara