Monday 22nd January

I treated myself to a long weekend for my birthday and had a bit of a lay in this morning. I woke up relishing the fact I didn't have to roll in to work at 7:30.

I grabbed my phone and saw I had a message from Beth.

‘I GOT THE JOB!’ it read. I sat up and cheered out loud!

‘YES YES YES!’ I fire back quickly.

‘I know I really didn't think I would!’

‘You totally deserve it! Do you know who else went for it?’ She had applied for an internal job that had come up in the office, the pay wasn't any different but the hours and expectations were definitely better.

‘Annie and Chelsea for sure. I don't know if anyone else did.’

‘No competition there! Are you working earlies or lates today? Fancy a catch up?’

‘Earlies, see you at 1 at mine?’

‘Yes! See you later.’

I got up and had some breakfast on the sofa watching the TV. I sat there for a while with the TV on, scrolling on my phone when Duke jumped onto my lap with his tail wagging.

“Ok ok. I get it. I'll get dressed.” I said allowed.

I took the boys out and they were chasing each other on the field when their friend Waffle came rushing over to play with them.

“Hey. Waffle could tell they were here before we even got onto the field.” Waffles mum said and I laughed.

“I would say it's crazy how good their hearing is, but Duke tries to go into the road when a motorbike comes past even though he's scared of them. It's like he can't tell where the noise is coming from exactly.”

I stood chatting with Waffles mum while the boys played. When Duke and Chester came over and laid down beside me I gathered they were ready to leave.

They said goodbye to Waffle with a last butt sniff and I said goodbye to Waffles mum as I turned to walk back towards home.

When I got to Beth's she invited me while she finished getting ready and suggested we get an ice cream and have a wander along the waterfront.

“The weather is beautiful today compared to last week so we might as well enjoy it.”

We headed out all wrapped up and joined the handful of other people who were out walking along the beach.

“You can get away from Mark. Are you thrilled?” I asked. Beth and I met when we started at the same company and we were both under the same department manager. He's awful. I got a new job the middle of last year after 2 years working with Beth and she has been up and down about moving on.

“Yes I can't wait. To actually have a manager who trusts me is going to be so amazing. You know what he said to me last week…?”

“What?”

“He said, I saw you shopping at the weekend, was it not a bit cold to have so little clothing on?”

“Oh, that's weird. Why does he make everything so creepy?”

We chatted non-stop while we walked. When we got back to Beth's I checked my watch which said we had done 3 miles.

I stayed at Beth's and had a quick tea and then headed back home to the boys.

I couldn't really be bothered to cook and so I just cooked some pasta and added butter and cheese and was happy with that. I ate it while in the bath with Modern Family playing on my tablet placed on the toilet.

Today went so fast which is sad. But it was so good.