Monday 12th February

I had to go to a different office today for first aid training. I drove to the office arriving half an hour early, because I've always hated being late.

I sat in the car and ate my breakfast before heading in to find the room and get settled. The training went well, it was a refresher and so I wasn't completely out of my depth when I walked in there.

I left the office and saw a message from Abbie on my phone. She was going to bring pizza and bits and she'd be round about 7.

I got in and grabbed the boys to get them walked before Abbie arrived. We walked around the park, I was throwing the ball for the boys intermittently. They would chase it together, scuffle over the ball and then one of them would come running back with it in their mouth. When I got the ball again they both would start barking. But would just sit until I actually threw it.

We got back just as Abbie pulled up and I let the boys in and helped Abbie with the pizza and wine she was juggling.

“Oh my god. Thank you so much for your help yesterday.” Abbie said, walking straight into the kitchen.

“What happened? I was eagerly waiting and you didn't get back to me!” I put the pizza on the counter and turned the oven on.

“Well. I replied to him and then he asked me out for a drink…” She trailed off and looked away from me.

“So how was it?”

“The drink?”

“The sex Abbie? I can read you like a book.” I looked at her and placed my hands on my hips. Abbie giggled and her face flushed bright red.

“We didn't actually have sex. But we did a lot. And oh he certainly knows what he's doing.” She looked directly at me and winked. I laughed back at her and put the pizza and garlic bread into the oven.

“So, what about the wedding?” I asked slowly, looking back towards Abbie who was pouring out two drinks.

“He invited me before we went back to his. So I need to bloody find a dress soon! That's going to be a nightmare!” She handed me a glass and we walked into the living room to sit on the sofa.

“So what's happening with you and James?” Abbie asked as she sat down on the sofa.

“Amazing. But it's ending… he got that promotion in London. So he's moving in like 2 weeks.” I said then took a large sip of wine.

“Oh shit. I knew he applied. He hasn't told anyone in the team he got it yet… are you okay?” She said to me with concern.

“I am. I'm so disappointed, he's so great and I think there could have been potential. But we're not in a position to change our lives for each other…”

“Ever logical. Cry if you need to though Al.” Abbie patted my leg and she then started telling me about a domestic she had been called out to last week.

I was listening, but I couldn't help thinking about what she had just said. Did I want to cry? Need to even.

We had our pizza and put on Angus Thongs and Perfect Snogging, the perfect throwback to growing up and just started chatting actual rubbish to each.

We managed not to really bring up James the rest of the night.

Trying to get Abbie to leave was like pulling teeth. She can talk and talk and because of her shifts she definitely forgets that some people have to work normal hours every weekday.

She left with a big hug and promised to text when she got home and I headed up to get ready for bed.

I waited until I had the message from her and then got comfy under the duvet with the boys on either side of me and I went to sleep.