Monday 4th March

When I arrived at work there was no clear place to put the two cakes tins I had with me. So I put them on the corner of my desk to make sure no one snuck one before the cake sale began. 

Mel had arranged it, I believe following a recent cancer diagnosis in her family, and I thought it was a nice fundraiser for the office. We were getting some time off work to have some cake and tea all together and to “team bond”. 

I hadn't managed to prep my to do list for the week and get myself organised when Liz rolled it.

“Al, where did you put your cakes?” She painted. She was red in the face and her ponytail had gone crooked. 

I stood up and took her tower of cakes from her and she collapsed into her desk chair. 

“I don't know so mine are here.” I added her cakes to mine. 

“What did you make?” Liz asked while adjusting her ponytail and flapping her hand in front of her face.

“Caramel cupcakes and lemon muffins. You?” I couldn't see what she had in her tins.

“I made caramel shortbread. It's the only thing I'm alright at.” She shrugged and turned to her computer which had just booted up.

“You can't let me have more than one Al, I have to stick to this new diet and you know I love cake.” 

“So one cake and a donation. Got it.” I winked at her and she laughed and turned around.

A while later Mel popped her head around the corner and told her she had set herself up a little station near her desk to collect the money and hand out cakes where necessary. Liz and I took our contributions over and we had to write a little card of what we had made and include a little allergen note. Luckily Mel had a cheat sheet for what should be considered.

When the designated cake sale time arrived me and Liz headed over with the team to look at the cakes. I brought one of the caramel cupcakes I had taken in and a chocolate muffin that Mel had made. Liz bought a lemon muffin and I gave her a look until she put another few pounds in as well.

We stood together chatting and a few other people joined us including Luke and the new guy David. George smartly stayed away.

I got back from work and decided to find a pilates video to follow. I'm still feeling achy and I felt it was a good way to move but gently. 

I ate dinner in front of the TV and took the boys out as the sun was slowly disappearing behind the rooftops. The sky danced with colour. Pinks and oranges that slowly darkened into purples and blues as the light faded.

We got home and I slipped into my fluffy pyjamas and tucked myself into bed to sit and read. 

Chester hopped onto the bed and Duke curled up on the dog bed at the end of my bed.